Arp request to get MAc Adress with IP address

amjadcsu

Hello,
I have a network on same subnet. I have an ip address of a machine.
but i need to get its MAC Adress.
Sendingf ARP request is the way i am taking.

IS there any other way to get this MAC Adress in python.??

Also does python go down to level 2 of TCP/IP model??

Sorry if i am to naive. Just learning python

thanks

Jonathan Gardner

Hello,
I have a network on same subnet. I have an ip address of a machine.
but i need to get its MAC Adress.
Sendingf ARP request is the way i am taking.

IS there any other way to get this MAC Adress in python.??

Also does python go down to level 2 of TCP/IP model??

When you start talking about this kind of low-level stuff, you really
need to start thinking about your OS, not Python. How would you do
this task if you had to write in in C? Which system calls would you
need to make?

Once you figure that out, then it's a question how to make those
system calls from Python.

Yu-Xi Lim

Hello,
I have a network on same subnet. I have an ip address of a machine.
but i need to get its MAC Adress.
Sendingf ARP request is the way i am taking.

IS there any other way to get this MAC Adress in python.??

Also does python go down to level 2 of TCP/IP model??

Sorry if i am to naive. Just learning python

thanks

Python's standard libs don't do that, but you can probably work out
something with sockets.

However, I do recommend you take a look at Scapy, which is just great
for network protocol manipulation. http://www.secdev.org/projects/scapy/

I hadn't used it in a while, but when I last tried it, it was very
promising.