ASCII character logger program in Python? (Or how to modifyEVDEV.py)

Dr. Colombes

I've used a very nice Keystroke Logger Python shareware program
(EVDEV.py), written by Micah Dowty.

But I couldn't find a dedicated ASCII Character Logger program.

Does anyone know of an ASCII Character Logger program (preferably
Python)?

Or how to modify EVDEV.py to log ASCII characters transmitted by
keystrokes? For example, how to "upper case" keystrokes between a
SHIFT PRESS and SHIFT RELEASE keystroke event pair? Or "upper casing"
keystrokes between a pair of CAPS LOCK PRESS keystroke events.

(I don't fully understand the object-oriented keystroke event code
in EVDEV.py., for example, how to distinguish a PRESS event from a
RELEASE event.)

Thanks for any suggestions, help you can offer.