    doing with the Spanish and Russian.

    Thanks.

    James Lattanzio

    James Lattanzio, Apr 28, 2004

  2. James Lattanzio

    J. Baute Guest

    "James Lattanzio" <> wrote in message news:<408f8795$0$28911$>...
    > Dear Anyone,
    >
    > I have an asp page that prints text in Spanish, Russian and Korean. My
    > client's server does not accept codepage=65001, so I print the Spanish and
    > Russian characters one at a time as special characters, i.e. Response.Write
    > "&#" & ascW(String,1,1).
    >
    > But this doesn't work with the Korean. So why doesn't the client's IIS
    > server accept a codepage of 65001 and how can I do with the Korean that I'm
    > doing with the Spanish and Russian.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > James Lattanzio

    If I'm getting this correctly your ASP server can't work with the
    Codepage=65001 setting, but you want to be outputting Unicode/UTF-8
    data anyway?

    Outputting all your string data using ascW() (assuming this is a
    function that stranslates a character to it's unicode value) should
    work, as long as you make sure you set the encoding of your page to
    UTF-8 as well.
    Without doing this your browser won't be able to tell for sure you are
    sending it a UTF-8 encoded page, so it will make a guess, which could
    explain why the Korean text is not displayed correctly.

    Setting your content-type from ASP can be done like this:
    <%
    Response.ContentType = "utf-8"
    %>

    Or you can add it to your HTML page using a meta tag in the page's
    head section like this:

    Btw, this ascW() function, where's that from? Is that a .NET function?

    The things I'm talking about here are for ASP 3.0, though they migth
    still work in .NET as well.

    hope this helps,
    J.

    J. Baute, Apr 29, 2004