ASP and Korean

James Lattanzio

Dear Anyone,

I have an asp page that prints text in Spanish, Russian and Korean. My
client's server does not accept codepage=65001, so I print the Spanish and
Russian characters one at a time as special characters, i.e. Response.Write
"&#" & ascW(String,1,1).

But this doesn't work with the Korean. So why doesn't the client's IIS
server accept a codepage of 65001 and how can I do with the Korean that I'm
doing with the Spanish and Russian.

Thanks.

James Lattanzio

J. Baute

James Lattanzio said:
Dear Anyone,

I have an asp page that prints text in Spanish, Russian and Korean. My
client's server does not accept codepage=65001, so I print the Spanish and
Russian characters one at a time as special characters, i.e. Response.Write
"&#" & ascW(String,1,1).

But this doesn't work with the Korean. So why doesn't the client's IIS
server accept a codepage of 65001 and how can I do with the Korean that I'm
doing with the Spanish and Russian.

Thanks.

James Lattanzio

If I'm getting this correctly your ASP server can't work with the
Codepage=65001 setting, but you want to be outputting Unicode/UTF-8
data anyway?

Outputting all your string data using ascW() (assuming this is a
function that stranslates a character to it's unicode value) should
work, as long as you make sure you set the encoding of your page to
UTF-8 as well.
Without doing this your browser won't be able to tell for sure you are
sending it a UTF-8 encoded page, so it will make a guess, which could
explain why the Korean text is not displayed correctly.

Setting your content-type from ASP can be done like this:
<%
Response.ContentType = "utf-8"
%>

Or you can add it to your HTML page using a meta tag in the page's
head section like this:

Btw, this ascW() function, where's that from? Is that a .NET function?

The things I'm talking about here are for ASP 3.0, though they migth
still work in .NET as well.

hope this helps,
J.