ASP / ASP.Net server.mappath

Mark Horrocks

Hi,
Whilst trying to solve another problem (see my post yesterday please!)
I have come across something strange.
I created an ASP version and an ASPX version of the same code, and ran
it in the same folder, ie:
http://x.y.z/code/test.asp and http://x.y.z/code/test.aspx
I use code in front as i can't get code behind working on my server
(see previous post please!)

The script simply uses server.mappath to output paths:
server.mappath(".")
server.mappath("..")
server.mappath("/")

the aspx version gives :
current path \\share\folder\code (code is in a virtual defined on a
share)
parent path c:\inetpub\wwwroot
root path c:\inetpub\wwwroot\

the asp version gives
current \\filespace2\intranet\system\code
parent \\filespace2\intranet\system
root c:\inetpub\wwwroot

Note that the path returned for the parent differs significantly.

Is this known behaviour?

Thanks

Mark

Kevin Spencer

Is this known behaviour?

Unless you don't know about it, yes.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Mark

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for your reply. Could you send me a reference to where this is
described, because I can't find anything on MSDN.
Mark

Kevin Spencer

Well, you just described it. Other than that, I suppose I (or you) would
have to search for it on the Internet. However, as it is something we
already know, I don't see any point in MY searching for it.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Kevin Spencer

Let me clarify my response, Mark: You discovered that ASP and ASP.Net return
2 different FORMATS of the same path. Regardless of the format, both are
valid file paths. As far as I'm concerned, it is a somewhat interesting, but
unimportant fact, as both work. My guess would be that Microsoft decided
that a UNC was a more "ubiquitous" way of returning the path, and modified
ASP.Net accordingly. If and where that is documented is unimportant to me,
as you have already told me about it, and therefore, it is already
documented in this newsgroup, and we both already know it. I only look stuff
up that I don't already know.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer