asp Checkbox on click event

Phils

I have a simple problem but after an afternoon of searching still cant
get a solution.

I have an asp checkbox on my form that i want to, when checked, enable
a textbox. when the checkbox is unchecked the textbox becomes disabled
again. i want to use some client side script as i dont want to always
post back for such a trivial thing. how would you create a java
function to disable the text box when the checkbox is checked and how
would you link the checkbox to the javafunction. i know nothing about
Java script

any ideas??