    Any indications concerning when ASP support and tech is stopped from MS?

    When is it e.g. not possible to compile/run code from a newer IIS version?

    thx

    Rost, Jan 21, 2008

  2. I have no clue, but it is still present in Windows Server 2008, which means
    it is not going anywhere anytime soon. You have at least three or four years
    until a post 2008 version of windows, following the normal development cycle
    for windows OS. This will put the earliest retirement at around 2011. As ASP
    is, for all practical purposes, a layer added on top of IIS, it only
    consumes cycles when you are running classic ASP, so I do not see a reason
    for MS to dump it, even if they no longer actively develop improvements to
    it.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Jan 21, 2008

  3. Rost

    Rost Guest

    thanks a lot for answering.

    > This will put the earliest retirement at around 2011. As ASP
    > is, for all practical purposes, a layer added on top of IIS, it only
    > consumes cycles when you are running classic ASP, so I do not see a reason
    > for MS to dump it, even if they no longer actively develop improvements to
    > it.

    So no burning platform for existing asp solutions on that front, I conclude.

    /Rost

    Rost, Jan 21, 2008
  4. Rost wrote:
    > thanks a lot for answering.
    >
    >> This will put the earliest retirement at around 2011. As ASP
    >> is, for all practical purposes, a layer added on top of IIS, it only
    >> consumes cycles when you are running classic ASP, so I do not see a
    >> reason for MS to dump it, even if they no longer actively develop
    >> improvements to it.

    > So no burning platform for existing asp solutions on that front, I
    > conclude.

    Huh?

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jan 21, 2008
  5. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)"
    <> writing in news:emsBCUEXIHA.4880
    @TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl:

    > This will put the earliest retirement at around 2011.

    Or December 21, 2012 - The End of the World, according to the Mayans.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Jan 21, 2008
  6. Will the world end on 2012?

    Do you think MS will release some Windows atomic edition?

    Paulo Roberto, Jan 21, 2008
  7. "Rost" <> wrote in message
    > thanks a lot for answering.
    >
    >> This will put the earliest retirement at around 2011. As ASP
    >> is, for all practical purposes, a layer added on top of IIS, it only
    >> consumes cycles when you are running classic ASP, so I do not see a
    >> reason
    >> for MS to dump it, even if they no longer actively develop improvements
    >> it.

    > So no burning platform for existing asp solutions on that front, I
    > conclude.

    As long as they have Enterprise customers still using ASP, I doubt they will
    create a situation where they will not upgrade that makes it impossible to
    upgrade. If 99% of their big customers bail and go the .NET route, you might
    see some forced obsolescence.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Jan 21, 2008
  8. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Paulo Roberto"
    <> writing in news:#T8QJbHXIHA.4532
    @TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl:

    > Will the world end on 2012?

    Well, I'm ending things that have moveable dates to 2012, just in case.
    An example is Easter, and I'm not about to do calculations to determine
    Easter's date in ASP - in PHP it's just date("M-d-Y", easter_date
    (YYYY)).

    > Do you think MS will release some Windows atomic edition?

    What? Are create a bomb? ;-)

    Adrienne Boswell, Jan 22, 2008