ASP.Net 1.1 SQL State

MSDN

Hi,

We are running a webfarm of server 2003 web edition with SQL2000 enterprise
running on 2003 in a failover cluster.

Periodically we suffer from performance problems where the websites slow to
the point of not being available.

The websites are running .Net 1.1 - we are not in a position to upgrade to
..Net 2 for all sites yet.

Today we experienced a period of about 1 hour when our SQL Server was
severely affected by a repeated calling of the stored procedure
TempGetStateItemExclusive2. Having monitored the server there doesn't appear
to be any explanation for why the frequency of calls to this procedure
increased so drastically over the period of time involved. The number of
users, transactions/sec etc where within normal ranges. No other performance
bottlenecks exist except when TempGetStateItemExclusive2 is called
excessively.

Having looked around various forums all I can find is people reporting the
same problem but with no replies indicating a possible solution.

Is there a fix to this? or a workaround? or even an alternative?

TIA

Phil

Juan T. Llibre

If your question is SQL Server-specific,
maybe posting it at microsoft.public.sqlserver.*
would help you get a SQL Server-specific answer.

There's several SQL server newsgroups on this same server.

microsoft.public.sqlserver.server
and
microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

look like good choices.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for Juan's input.

Hi Phil,

Based on my research, the "TempGetStateItemExclusive2" is a SP whch is used
by asp.net sql session to check item's lock status. For your problem here,
the application periodly report unavaible status, I think there could be
two possible causes:

1. The web application has restarted or worker process has recycled

2. There're something blocked and take long time in the ASP.NET worker
threads and when all the free worker threads been occupied, it stop
responding.

I think the second one is more likely in your scenario since the
application seems to frequently query the temp session state item's lock
status.

In addition, I've also checked our internal issue database and did found
some former issue that suffer the similar behavior. Some of them are caused
by hardware disk IO/system problem. And most of them require complex and
thorough troubleshooting and debugging. Therefore, if you feel this an
urgent issue, I would suggest you contact CSS for assistance on this.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.