asp.net 1.x versus 2.x

mnichols

Hi,

It seems to me that when I referenced interops in 1.x web apps I had to
set the copy local property to true to ensure pages compiled on the fly.
This had to be done even if the interop was in the GAC. (This might have
been specifically for pages that imported the namespace in the interop
in the aspx file.)

In ASP.NET 2.x I do not seem to have to do that. If the interop is in
the GAC then my app runs and compiles without a hitch even though I have
no local copy. I have also noticed that the reference will actually say
that it is a GAC reference.

Does this make sense or am I misinterpreting things?

Also, can anyone recommend MS documentation that might help clarify the
reasons for all of this?

Thanks in advance.

mnichols