asp.net 2.0 site menu control (from navigation block) and IE 5 compatibility

Dmitry Klymenko

Hi, All

Was very suprised, that html rendered by standard control is not compatibile
with IE 5 (!) and latest mac/safari as well.
Skiping safari support is understandable, but why it does nto work for IE
5.0 is very confusing.
Does anyone redefines render for that control to extend it's compatibility?
I do not think it has features, that are not supported with IE 5 (It was
great browser).

Thanks
Dmitry Klymenko

Richard Creer

Try this -

Protected Sub Page_PreInit(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
If InStr(Request.ServerVariables("http_user_agent"), "Safari") _
Or InStr(Request.ServerVariables("http_user_agent"), "MSIE 5") Then
Page.ClientTarget = "uplevel"
End If
End Sub

It worked for Safari and when I had a user report a similar problem with IE5 I added the IE5 check. I haven't been able to view the results myself but the user says "selecting the items is a bit hit and miss, but quite useable"

HTH