ASP.net 2.0 Users (aspnet_Users table) create constraint problem

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by ibiza, Mar 9, 2006.

  1. ibiza

    ibiza Guest

    Hi all,

    I am using ASP.NET 2.0 Membership system, which is driving me nuts. I
    have my users, which I create correctly. Then I have a table "Models"
    which contains models, created by different users. So I obviously need
    to create a relationship between the users and the models. I wanted at
    first to create a relationship like I'm used to do it, that is to add
    an int field to my Model table that would be a reference on the primary
    key of my Primary Table. However, as the primary key on the
    aspnet_Users table is a uniqueidentifier, I decided to add a field
    model_username instead. Then, I tried to create a relationship between
    the aspnet_Users.UserName row and Model.model_username, but sql server
    won't let me create it, I don't know why.

    What is supposed to be the correct way to implement a constraint with
    asp.net 2.0 users? I want to disallow the deletion of a user if he has
    created a model.

    Thank you,
    ibiza

    ibiza, Mar 9, 2006

  2. On 9 Mar 2006 11:41:46 -0800, ibiza wrote:

    > However, as the primary key on the
    > aspnet_Users table is a uniqueidentifier, I decided to add a field
    > model_username instead.

    Why? I assume you mean you added a field model_username to your new table
    (not to the asp.net users table), right? If so, did you make sure it's the
    same type and size as the aspnet username field (ie nvarchar(256))?

    Also, primary keys must be unique, so if you can have mulitple models per
    user, you need to have some kind of sequence number or other value in
    addition to username to create your primary key.

    > Then, I tried to create a relationship between
    > the aspnet_Users.UserName row and Model.model_username, but sql server
    > won't let me create it, I don't know why.

    What is the error you are getting? It seems to work for me.

    > What is supposed to be the correct way to implement a constraint with
    > asp.net 2.0 users? I want to disallow the deletion of a user if he has
    > created a model.

    I'd create a uniqueidentifier in your table, and then create a foreign key
    constraint on that. This is guaranteed unique, even if another user is
    created with the same name.

    Erik Funkenbusch, Mar 10, 2006