    before thay will even think of buying Visual Studio and Source Safe. Can
    anyone point me in the right direction with either advice or pointers to
    resources.

    Chris Kennedy, Jun 3, 2004

  2. Hi Chris,

    Our solution is to use external CSS for all of our layout. We bundle our
    interface functionality into custom Server Controls that are basically divs
    with other HTML objects inside them. No attributes or inline styles. Each
    Server Control has a CSS class name, and the designer develops the CSS
    classes which give them the appropriate look/layout, as well as positioning
    them in the page. This way, the programmers don't have to think much about
    layout, and the designers never have to worry about code. You can see some
    excellent examples of external CSS for layout at http://csszengarden.com.
    Every page on that site uses the same HTML, with different external style
    sheets.

    As far as "unproven technolgy," perhaps you should remind your boss that
    ..Net has been out for more than 2 years now, and is currently in pre-release
    for it's THIRD version.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    "Chris Kennedy" <> wrote in message
    > I am fine designing .net apps by myself. For my company to start utilising
    > .net properly we need systems and approaches in place where we can

    integrate
    > web designers designing the frontend and web developers designing the code
    > behinds. Our designer mainly hand codes, how do I get him to give me a

    HTML
    > layout with pointer to where e.g. labels will go and convert that into

    into
    > aspx page with a code behind. I want to do this from the .net IDE, not

    with

    Kevin Spencer, Jun 3, 2004

  3. Actually sorry I reread what you said and got it. How do you approach issues
    such layout within the server control, are talking custom server controls or
    user controls. Regards, Chris.

    Chris Kennedy, Jun 3, 2004
  4. Hi Chris,

    The difference between Server Controls and User Controls in this case is
    negligible. Both types of Controls render HTML. So, you can use either, or
    both.

    As far as handling the styling of the elements within the controls, again,
    take a look at http://csszengarden.com. When you define a CSS class, you can
    also define the characteristics of any HTML elements that are contained
    within the HTML element (div) that has the class name. For example, if you
    have several lines of text in the Control, and one line needs to look
    different than another, you can use <H1> for one line and <H2> for the
    other. By defining the style of H1 and H2 in the class definition of that
    CSS Class, you can control how each line of text looks inside the Control.
    H1 and H2 elements that are not contained in that Control will not use those
    styles; only HTML elements inside the outer div. In other words, you simply
    use different types of HTML elements inside the Control, and define in the
    CSS class definition how each HTML element inside that outer div should be
    styled.

    Good luck!

    Kevin Spencer, Jun 3, 2004