ASP.NET and HTML

Ammar S. Mitoori

Hi

i allways wonder how browsers oter than IE and how operating systems other
than windows can read web pages with aspx extension ?? i mean html is the
standard and asp.net was developed by microsoft so how it was done ? does
those systems and browsers needs some add-ins or how they can read it ?

also i like to know about the extensions of aspx pages see when we request a
aspx webpage we should get a page with extension aspx how come we get pages
with extensions like mypage.aspx&#1234 etc ... ?

Regards

Bob Barrows

Ammar said:
Hi

i allways wonder how browsers oter than IE and how operating systems
other than windows can read web pages with aspx extension ?? i mean

***canned wrong-newsgroup reply************************
recommended practice) , but this is a classic (COM-based) asp newsgroup.
ASP.Net bears very little resemblance to classic ASP so, while you may be
lucky enough to find a dotnet-knowledgeable person here who can answer your
question, you can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to a
group where those dotnet-knowledgeable people hang out. I suggest

html is the standard and asp.net was developed by microsoft so how it
was done ? does those systems and browsers needs some add-ins or how
they can read it ?

also i like to know about the extensions of aspx pages see when we
request a aspx webpage we should get a page with extension aspx how
come we get pages with extensions like mypage.aspx&#1234 etc ... ?

The browser does not care. The webserver is what matters. Both ASP and
ASP.Net generate html which is sent to the browser, which does not know or
care that the source of the html is asp or asp.net.

Ammar S. Mitoori

hi

thanks for the info, so since its sent as html why we see the pages
extensions as aspx in the adress bar ?

regards

Evertjan.

=?Utf-8?B?QW1tYXIgUy4gTWl0b29yaQ==?= wrote on 01 jun 2009 in
thanks for the info, so since its sent as html why we see the pages
extensions as aspx in the adress bar ?

The EXTENSION does not influence the browser,
you could send .foobar .

As long as the page CONTENT is html it is rendered as such by the browser.

IIS [ASP] servers can even be set to interpret .html FILES as ASP code
containing files and rendered as such serverside.

The browser NEVER receives/sees the ASP[X] code.

Ammar S. Mitoori

ok so if it looks to the content how will it deal with web controls ?

also i didnt get ur point about IIS ?

Evertjan. said:
=?Utf-8?B?QW1tYXIgUy4gTWl0b29yaQ==?= wrote on 01 jun 2009 in
thanks for the info, so since its sent as html why we see the pages
extensions as aspx in the adress bar ?

The EXTENSION does not influence the browser,
you could send .foobar .

As long as the page CONTENT is html it is rendered as such by the browser.

IIS [ASP] servers can even be set to interpret .html FILES as ASP code
containing files and rendered as such serverside.

The browser NEVER receives/sees the ASP[X] code.

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi,
ok so if it looks to the content how will it deal with web controls ?
also i didnt get ur point about IIS ?

In short, the process is like this:

1. User input an address in the address bar of his browser. The browser
then send a Get HTTP request to the server.

2. On the server, IIS takes over the request and checks the extension of
the address. Say it's aspx. Then IIS checks its internal mapping. The
internal mapping says aspnet_isapi.dll should handle the request with aspx
as the extension.

3. aspnet_isapi.dll takes over the request and initialize all needed to
process the request (mainly HttpRuntime and HttpApplication). Let them
handle the request.

4. In this process, an HttpHandler will be used to handle this request.
There's another mapping in ASP.NET that can choose which handler should be
used to handle which request. Page is a HttpHandler, which by default
handles requests with aspx as extension.

5. Since Page has now taken over the request it's responsible to process
request and render the output HTML. The web controls added in the page will
render respective HTML during the page lifecycle. In the end the HTML is
rendered, passed to IIS and sent to client side.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

(e-mail address removed).

Evertjan.

Allen Chen [MSFT] wrote on 01 jun 2009 in
In short, the process is like this:

1. User input an address in the address bar of his browser. The
browser then send a Get HTTP request to the server.

2. On the server, IIS takes over the request and checks the extension
of the address. Say it's aspx. Then IIS checks its internal mapping.
The internal mapping says aspnet_isapi.dll should handle the request
with aspx as the extension.

However, internal IIS mapping could be set by the administrator to have
other extensions rendered as ASP or ASP.net.

So a request for test.html could be sent to the ASP-engine to be rendered
as an ASP file.

The returned html stream would not disclose to the browser that it was a
rendered stream and not a "flat" html file.
Say it's aspx.

off topic on this NG. ;-)
3. aspnet_isapi.dll takes over the request and initialize all needed
to process the request (mainly HttpRuntime and HttpApplication). Let
them handle the request.

4. In this process, an HttpHandler will be used to handle this
request. There's another mapping in ASP.NET that can choose which
handler should be used to handle which request. Page is a HttpHandler,
which by default handles requests with aspx as extension.

5. Since Page has now taken over the request it's responsible to
process request and render the output HTML. The web controls added in
the page will render respective HTML during the page lifecycle. In the
end the HTML is rendered, passed to IIS

passed to IIS ??? I see the ASP rendering engine as part of IIS.
Just a matter of parlance methinks.
and sent to client side.

.... as a stream, meaning the rendered stream is [usually] not a 1 to 1
copy of an existing file on the server, which is the case with a
"normal" html file.

Pete Hurford

Ammar, you may also be interested to know that ASP is not just an IIS thing.

My company's web site is based on Unix/Apache but there is an ASP engine in
there which allows us to write (albeit slightly restricted) ASP scripts on
the server.

It was originally built by Chillisoft, who then got bought up by Sun. Where
it stands not I have no idea.

Not sure either if they ever got around to ASP.NET - doubt it somehow!

Evertjan.

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZSBIdXJmb3Jk?= wrote on 03 jun 2009 in
Ammar, you may also be interested to know that ASP is not just an IIS
thing.

My company's web site is based on Unix/Apache but there is an ASP
engine in there which allows us to write (albeit slightly restricted)
ASP scripts on the server.

It was originally built by Chillisoft, who then got bought up by Sun.
Where it stands not I have no idea.

Not sure either if they ever got around to ASP.NET - doubt it somehow!

Please do not use usenet as email.

[please always quote on usenet]

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi,
ok so if it looks to the content how will it deal with web controls ?
also i didnt get ur point about IIS ?

Have you got the expected answer? Please feel free to ask if you have
additional questions regarding ASP.NET.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

Evertjan.

Allen Chen [MSFT] wrote on 08 jun 2009 in

[missing originator attribution]
Have you got the expected answer? Please feel free to ask if you have
additional questions regarding ASP.NET.

I would not say that in this NG, as it is classic ASP oriented.

Please direct the OQ to an appropriate NG,
or even better use email for personalized communication.