asp.net and mssql

L.Peter

Hi Group,
I worked with asp.net v1 and mssql2000 about 1.5 year ago. Since then,
surely, the technology has changed significantly.
I am now working on a small project which will pull out data from mssql2005,
do display, checking and updates records in asp.net 2
I am looking for recommended way for data, business and presentation layers.
Back then, the recommended way was
data: write a bunch of store procedure to retrieve, update records
business: create custom object with methods and properties correcsponding to
fields of table in order to update records
presentation: mostly just call the business object from business layer

Question: what is the new recommendation? is there any links on white papers
so that I can catch up with new development

tia

Peter

Evan M.

Hi Group,
I worked with asp.net v1 and mssql2000 about 1.5 year ago. Since then,
surely, the technology has changed significantly.
I am now working on a small project which will pull out data from mssql2005,
do display, checking and updates records in asp.net 2
I am looking for recommended way for data, business and presentation layers.
Back then, the recommended way was
data: write a bunch of store procedure to retrieve, update records
business: create custom object with methods and properties correcsponding to
fields of table in order to update records
presentation: mostly just call the business object from business layer

Question: what is the new recommendation? is there any links on white papers
so that I can catch up with new development

tia

Peter

Sorry to hi-jack your thread a little, but its related, and your
question has peaked my interest in a response.

ASP.NET 2.0 can make data related applications really easy thanks to
the DataSource controls (SqlDataSource, AccessDataControls, etc.), and
with a little event code, you can make huge expanses to their default
behaviors. But where does it reach the breaking point where you'd want
to swtich from the simple use of the DataSource controls to a more
"robust" design using something like an MVC architecture with a DAL?

As well, when do you switch from using a SqlDataSource to an
ObjectDataSource? The ODS jsut seems like a huge integration problem
to me.

Thanks.

L.Peter

Hi Evan,
There is no breaking point. I just prefer the model. Actually, the
advantages are we can change datasource (be it mssql, oracle or mysql),
consistant business rules and if clients don't like asp.net then we can swap
to console app, windows or web services. But I have to amit for small
project, it may not worth it.
Thanks
Peter

Mark Rae

ASP.NET 2.0 can make data related applications really easy thanks to
the DataSource controls (SqlDataSource, AccessDataControls, etc.), and
with a little event code, you can make huge expanses to their default
behaviors. But where does it reach the breaking point where you'd want
to swtich from the simple use of the DataSource controls to a more
"robust" design using something like an MVC architecture with a DAL?

If, like me, you never go anywhere near the DataSource controls because you
have a very lightweight DAL which can simply be dropped into any project no
matter what type, then you never need to ask yourself this question... :)