ASP.NET and SSL

Jaime Stuardo

Hi all..

I'm developing an extranet site using ASP.NET and IIS 5.0 under Windows
Server 2000.

Some information is very confidential so I need to implement some secure
mecanism in order to protect it while trasmitted over the network.

Should I purchase an SSL certificate such as Verisign or does .NET framework
provide a way to implement SSL comunications without the need of a
third-party component? I am new to .NET so I am wondering if .NET has a
built-in support for SSL. If it has, do you recommend to use it or do you
advice me to use a third-party certificate because it is more reliable?

Thanks
Jaime

Joerg Jooss

Jaime said:
Hi all..

I'm developing an extranet site using ASP.NET and IIS 5.0 under
Windows Server 2000.

Some information is very confidential so I need to implement some
secure mecanism in order to protect it while trasmitted over the
network.

Should I purchase an SSL certificate such as Verisign or does .NET
framework provide a way to implement SSL comunications without the
need of a third-party component?

The latter is pretty much like everyone being able to create his or her
own id card or passport. It's OK for test purposes, but no good in real
life (production) ;-)

Cheers,