ASP .NET application performance

Sunmax

I have an ASP .NET application which loads pretty fast in our intranet. When
we try to run the same application from outside our office, it takes a lot
of time to load the ASP pages. We have a 100 Mbps line and the application
is behind a firewall in the office.
Is there any reason why accessing the application from outside is slow?

dan.c.roth

Hi

How are you connecting from outside the office?(T1 ,DSL)

Regards,

Daniel Roth
MCSD.NET
I have an ASP .NET application which loads pretty fast in our intranet. When
we try to run the same application from outside our office, it takes a lot
of time to load the ASP pages. We have a 100 Mbps line and the application
is behind a firewall in the office.
Is there any reason why accessing the application from outside is
slow?

Sunmax

Bill
There are about 5 server controls on the page and 4 of them have viewstate
enabled.
We have a 100 Mbps connection. I am confused because internal access to the
server is pretty fast , but external access is slow even though we have such
a high speed connection to our server.

Thanks
-Sunmax

William F. Robertson, Jr.

Okay, viewstate is not your problem. I was just making sure you weren't
serailizing a 1000 row DataTable.

What type of connection does your office have to the internet? You said DSL
and T1, which are mutally exclusive. If you office is using DSL, you might
be hitting your upload cap.

Try this out.

Place a large file on your webserver, and see how long it takes to download
to your remote machine. This will eliminate asp.net as the source of the
problem, but I believe it has something to do with your connection to the
internet. You might be under a DOS attack right now, but your router is
protecting your network, but not letting anything else get out.

bill

Sunmax

Bill
We have Cogent Communications 100 MBps line at our office.
I placed a 65 MB file on our server and tried downloading from outside our
office network ; here are the statistics
1) From a SBC DSL Home line , it took about 5 minutes to download the
whole file
2) from another High speed (100MBps) line, it took less than 1 minute
for the whole download.
So connection to internet is not a problem I think.

What I did notice is when I access the ASP .NET web page from ouside, it
keeps on blinking the following text on the bottom left of the page "Opening
xxx.xx.xx.xx/abc.aspx " till the page is loaded completely, as if it is
trying to refresh itself.

Thanks
-Sunmax

William F. Robertson, Jr.

That is strange. Did you download the file through IIS? ie
http://server.com/BigFile.txt

Connection to the internet is clearly fine. Man I am out of ideas. If you
want to email me your url, I will look at the page and see the refresh thing
you are talking about. I can check to see if anything wacky is in the
headers. The tool I will use is called "wfetch" and is put out by some MS
developer. Not too sure about the details.

bill