ASP.NET Book, C#, no code-inside

Edward W.

Sorry, I know the book topic comes up often, but here's what I'm looking for

ASP.NET; (1.1 DNF hopefully)
C# as the main language of the book
Code behind - not code inside

I have ASP.NET unleashed, yes it's a good book, but above is what I'm trying
to find.

Thanks

clintonG

If you're just getting started which it seems you are I think it would be
best for you to avoid learning code-behind and focus on learning the C#
language and the new 'code-beside' partial class architecture as the release
of ASP.NET 2.0 is right around the corner.

The best book(s) to learn the C# language are those that are about the
language and little else and will continue to prove valuable as reference
works for a long long time. That would be textbooks published by Deitel &
Deitel [1],[2]. I recommend "C# A Programmer's Introduction"

The best IDEs for you to get started at this point in time would be
Microsoft's Express [3] products again with the focus on ASP.NET 2.0 and
later given the resources buy into Visual Studio.NET 2005.

Finally, you'll need to learn about the actual .NET Framework itself and
there are many good books around. Two authors come to mind; Jesse Liberty
and Andrew Troelsen both of whom write C# books with the focus on the .NET
Framework.

--
<%= Clinton Gallagher
METROmilwaukee "Regional Information Services"

[1] http://www.deitel.com/
[2] http://www.prenhall.com/deitel/
[3] http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/

Edward W.

Thanks Clinton. I'm not sure what I said that made you think I'm just
getting started. I'm not an expert and I'm not a beginner. I have already
been programming with winforms in .NET for a few years now. Now I've
landed a new job with a new company. 1.1 & C# are the standards. It's a
fourtune 25 company, so jumping on the dot net framework the minute it goes
non-beta isn't a serious option right away.

So really I should clarify. I'm not looking to learn C# or the dot net
framework. I'm just a former winforms dot net programmer doing ASP.NET
these days.

I'm looking for a great ASP.NET book which uses C#, code-behind, and isn't
trying to get me to use the dot net framework 2.0.

Thanks,
Ed

Edward W. said:
Sorry, I know the book topic comes up often, but here's what I'm looking for

ASP.NET; (1.1 DNF hopefully)
C# as the main language of the book
Code behind - not code inside

I have ASP.NET unleashed, yes it's a good book, but above is what I'm trying
to find.

Thanks

clintonG

Well your use of the 'code inside' terminology did not sound right but then
again I wonder of that term is unique to WinForms as I've never heard it
said before noting I've been ASP.NET all the way so far.

I think Liberty and Troelsen will do you fine noting anything you can read
from Dino Esposito will also be good as gold. There really are some great
works around.

Glad to hear you've come over to the other side. Misery really does like
company ;-)

--

Edward W. said:
Sorry, I know the book topic comes up often, but here's what I'm
looking
for
ASP.NET; (1.1 DNF hopefully)
C# as the main language of the book
Code behind - not code inside

I have ASP.NET unleashed, yes it's a good book, but above is what I'm trying
to find.

Thanks

Joerg Jooss

clintonG said:
Well your use of the 'code inside' terminology did not sound right
but then again I wonder of that term is unique to WinForms as I've
never heard it said before noting I've been ASP.NET all the way so
far.

I think Liberty and Troelsen will do you fine noting anything you can
read from Dino Esposito will also be good as gold. There really are
some great works around.

Fritz Onion's book is great, but requires Web development experience.

Cheers,