ASP.Net & COM+ transaction trouble on occasion

Jim Bancroft

Hi everyone,

I'm running into a problem with my ASP.Net application. I've just created a
new aspx page which uses some new components of mine that inherit from
ServicedComponent and are designed to run under COM+.

This page works fine, unless I get fancy and hit my browser's refresh button
quickly, as a test. Then, what I see happen is the transactions pile up and
my ASP.Net "current requests" do the same. This happens even with two
requests in the ASP list. My browser just sits there.

After I hit 10 requests (I use WindowsXP, my own box as the test webserver
here) IIS says to come back later, it's full up.

Trouble is, later never arrives. Eventually I see my COM+ transactions
abort/timeout, but ASP.Net never kills the requests. I'm stuck at 10
requests until I do an IIS reset.

I've made plenty of ServicedComponents before, and this is the first time
I've seen this problem when refreshing the page quickly. My other pages
don't have this trouble. Nothing jumps out at me as to why this would be a
problem now, on this particular page. The SQL query run by my component is
a _little_ more difficult than a typical one, but that's just in the number
of rows returned. And again, if I don't go nuts on the refresh button it
works fine.

Has anyone seen this, or do you have any ideas what's going on? It's a
mystery to me. I'm using the 1.1 runtime, btw. XP Service Pack 2.

Some details, in case it helps: My business component has the
"AutoComplete" attribute set on its methods and its transaction settings are
set to Transaction.RequiresNew. It calls a data layer component that also
has AutoComplete set on its methods. Its transaction setting is
Transaction.Required. There are no exceptions being thrown, as far as I can
tell-- my exception handlers aren't logging anything.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Famel Lee

I suggest you check two things:

1) open COM+ MMC and check the MSTDC statistics, how many transactions have
been committe, aborted or in trouble.
2) open SQL Server MMC and check whether there are dead-locks, also the
physical open connections to database.