ASP.Net Control Accessibility

Guest

This page: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms227996(VS.80).aspx

at the top says "ASP.NET server controls cannot be used in applications that
must be 100 percent conformant with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0
(WCAG) priority 1 guidelines. In those cases, you must avoid using the
controls."

It would be nice if the page said what controls cannot ever be 100%. Like
the Menu control can never be 100% because it requires Client script.

Juan T. Llibre

Maybe I'm confused, Mike.

My impression has been that the use of Javascript doesn't trangress
the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 (WCAG) priority 1 guidelines.

Does it ?

Juan T. Llibre

As I read it, all that section requires is that equivalent information
be made available on an alternative accessible page, if the user
has opted for turning off Javascript and that renders the page unusable.

There's no restriction regarding the use of Javascript itself, is there ?
For users who have *not* opted for turning off Javascript, its use is OK, isn't it ?

IOW, if you provide a text equivalent for the Javascript-based menu, it's OK.

That can be achieved by testing for Javascript (set a variable and check for
its presence) and, in the absence for the variable, rendering a text-only menu.

Juan T. Llibre

Cool. I'm glad our exchange cleared that up.

:)

I also support your wish that the matrix you want be provided.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Mike,

I also agree that it is a good idea to provide a more specific list of
accessiblity info of each ASP.NET server control. You are suggested to post
the request in the product feedback center:

http://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/default.aspx?SiteID=210

In addition, here are some other reference related to web accessibility:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/819351/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823030/

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Mike,

The feedback site's submitted request or bug will be imported into our
internal database automatically and the dev team members will be able to
review them. Also, they'll make decision on the plan for any certain
request or bug due to their existing schedule or budget. Anyway, your
feedback and comments are really welcome and appreciated since it is quite
a good resource for us to improve the products.

Thanks again for your posting.