ASP.NET DLL Hell?

Charlie@NISH

Hi:

I replaced application DLL in Bin directory with a new version to support a
few minor code changes. I renamed the old DLL and left in Bin for backup.
The problem is under some conditions, old DLL will run. What would cause
this?

Thanks,
Charlie

mathlec

I once had such a problem...

I think the problem comes from the shadow copy of the DLL.

When I want to keep a backup of my app DLL, I replace the "." by a "_".

ie : dummy.dll = dummy_dll

Works wonder

Charlie@NISH

Hi Juan:

Our 3rd party portal generates cookie that is used to pass credentails to
..NET web applications. We are having problems with logging in on portal,
then logging out, then loggin in as another person. When application is
launced it is scoped to first users session. To debug on server, I added
some response writes and recomplied and replace DLL. When first user logs
in, reponse writes appear. When he logs out and another logs in, the
reponse writes do not show. Instead the old dll runs. Weird.

Thanks,
Charlie

Marina

I don't think it's the DLL that is the issue there. If you delete the old
DLL entirely, and just have the new copy in there, I would expect the same
problem would happen. It is some sort of logic issue in your code.

Guest

Hi Charlie,

It is possible that your IIS Caches is not being cleared properly. I have
had this problem several times in the past. An easy test for this is to
release your code to a new virtual directory and see if it still has the same
problem.

I’ve also found that deleting the original asp.net code from our production
server before I do a new release reduces the number of occurrences of this
problem. Though I have no Idea why this is the case.

Brad.