ASP.Net Page that has a control to display HTML

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by David Elliott, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. I need a control on a Web Page that can accept an HTML Document and will display it.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Dave

    Here is what I was trying...

    protected System.Web.UI.WebControls.Panel htmlPanel;
    protected System.Web.UI.WebControls.Image htmlImage;

    htmlString = @"ImageFeed.aspx?docId=" + docID;

    htmlPanel.BackImageUrl = htmlString;

    htmlImage.ImageUrl = htmlString;
    htmlImage.Visible = true;

    public class ImageFeed : System.Web.UI.Page
    string htmlData = @"<html><body><h3>Hello World</h3></body></html>";
    Response.Write(htmlData);

    David Elliott, Feb 27, 2004

  2. Hi, David Elliott,

    How about an iframe? In the class you can declare it as
    System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlGenericControl, just don't forget the
    runat="server" attribute in the .aspx. You can set the attributes (src,
    width, height, border, etc) from the property Attributes, i.e.
    iframe1.Attributes["src"] = "somepage.aspx";

    Greetings
    Martin

    Martin Dechev, Feb 27, 2004

  3. Use the WebControls.Literal control

    Set the Literal.Text property to store the HTML content

    HTH
    Tim Stal

    ----- David Elliott wrote: ----

    I need a control on a Web Page that can accept an HTML Document and will display it

    Any help would be appreciated

    Thanks
    Dav

    Here is what I was trying..

    protected System.Web.UI.WebControls.Panel htmlPanel
    protected System.Web.UI.WebControls.Image htmlImage

    htmlString = @"ImageFeed.aspx?docId=" + docID

    htmlPanel.BackImageUrl = htmlString

    htmlImage.ImageUrl = htmlString
    htmlImage.Visible = true

    public class ImageFeed : System.Web.UI.Pag

    private void Page_Load(object sender, System.EventArgs e

    =?Utf-8?B?VGltIFN0YWxs?=, Feb 27, 2004
  4. I added <iframe id=extText runat=server></iframe> to my ASPX page and defined
    protected System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlGenericControl extText;

    htmlString = @"ImageFeed.aspx?docId=" + docID;
    extText.Attributes["src"] = htmlString;

    If I have ImageFeed defined to return:
    dataString = @"<html><body><h1>hello world 12</h1></body></html>";
    Response.Write(dataString);
    Response.Flush();
    Response.Close();

    Everything works fine.

    =======================

    If I cache a file
    FileStream fs = new FileStream(filename, FileMode.Open);
    byte[] data = new byte [fs.Length];
    fs.Read(data, 0, (int)fs.Length);
    fs.Close();

    and have ImageFeed defined to return
    data = (byte[])document;
    string dataString = Encoding.UTF8.GetString(data);

    Response.Write(dataString);
    Response.Flush();
    Response.Close();

    This doesn't work. Using the debugger, I verified that dataString has the correct information (i.e. the HTML)

    If I view the source it returns some generated text from who knows where. Isn't anything like what I am trying
    to load. It looks like this.

    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <title>ImageFeed</title>
    </HEAD>
    <form name="Form1" method="post" action="ImageFeed.aspx?r0=1077912660" id="Form1">
    <input type="hidden" name="__VIEWSTATE" value="dDwtMTI3OTMzNDM4NDs7Ppf+ZVIuJLGxTqy+PZFowk7vf36y" />

    </form>
    </HTML>

    David Elliott, Feb 27, 2004
  5. Hi, David Elliott,

    Are you sure that you are not viewing a cached version of the page? Delete
    your temp. files in the IE. If you are running Windows Server (IIS 6.0) you
    might need to restart the w3svc service because there is some bizzare
    caching which is not documented but many people are experiencing it.

    Also, call Response.End() instead of Response.Close()

    Martin Dechev, Feb 27, 2004
  6. I changed from Close() to End() as suggested and it throws an exception:
    ex.Message "Thread was being aborted.". I was using a simple hard coded
    string " <html><body><h1>This is some text</h1></body></html>"

    The failure to display the HTML, I believe it has something to do with the data
    contained inside of the HTML file. If I create a file using the string above, the
    output is displayed correctly. Upon viewing the source, it is identical to the
    file on disk. No additional headers or information.

    The data file I had been using for testing purposes was the Yahoo.com main page.
    I just saved it to disk and then read it into a byte[] (see previous message below)
    and then do the write. Using this yahoo.htm file instead of the simple html file, I get
    nothing displayed. When I view the source code, the following is displayed which
    doesn't look like the Yahoo.com file on disk..

    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <title>ImageFeed</title>
    </HEAD>
    <form name="Form1" method="post" action="ImageFeed.aspx?r0=1077912660"
    id="Form1">
    <input type="hidden" name="__VIEWSTATE"
    value="dDwtMTI3OTMzNDM4NDs7Ppf+ZVIuJLGxTqy+PZFowk7vf36y" />

    </form>
    </HTML>

    Cheers,
    Dave

    David Elliott, Mar 1, 2004
  7. I got it.

    It turns out that loading the page into my application was fine. The problem was that
    the page was loading a cookie to automatically log me into my Yahoo account. It was
    then posting back to my ASPX page to display which is what the r0=.... number is below.
    Once I logged out of Yahoo the page displayed successfully.

    I still don't know about using End().

    Thanks all for the help.

    Cheers,
    Dave

    On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 09:07:47 -0500, David Elliott <> wrote:

    >I changed from Close() to End() as suggested and it throws an exception:
    > ex.Message "Thread was being aborted.". I was using a simple hard coded
    >string " <html><body><h1>This is some text</h1></body></html>"
    >
    >The failure to display the HTML, I believe it has something to do with the data
    >contained inside of the HTML file. If I create a file using the string above, the
    >output is displayed correctly. Upon viewing the source, it is identical to the
    >file on disk. No additional headers or information.
    >
    >The data file I had been using for testing purposes was the Yahoo.com main page.
    >I just saved it to disk and then read it into a byte[] (see previous message below)
    >and then do the write. Using this yahoo.htm file instead of the simple html file, I get
    >nothing displayed. When I view the source code, the following is displayed which
    >doesn't look like the Yahoo.com file on disk..
    >

    ><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN" >
    ><HTML>
    ><HEAD>
    ><title>ImageFeed</title>
    >content="http://schemas.microsoft.com/intellisense/ie5">
    ></HEAD>
    ><form name="Form1" method="post" action="ImageFeed.aspx?r0=1077912660"
    >id="Form1">
    ><input type="hidden" name="__VIEWSTATE"
    >value="dDwtMTI3OTMzNDM4NDs7Ppf+ZVIuJLGxTqy+PZFowk7vf36y" />
    >
    ></form>
    ></HTML>
    >

    >Cheers,
    >Dave
    >

    >On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 21:27:09 +0100, "Martin Dechev" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi, David Elliott,
    >>
    >>Are you sure that you are not viewing a cached version of the page? Delete
    >>your temp. files in the IE. If you are running Windows Server (IIS 6.0) you
    >>might need to restart the w3svc service because there is some bizzare
    >>caching which is not documented but many people are experiencing it.
    >>
    >>Also, call Response.End() instead of Response.Close()
    >>
    >>Greetings
    >>Martin
    >>"David Elliott" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I added <iframe id=extText runat=server></iframe> to my ASPX page and

    >>defined
    >>> protected System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlGenericControl extText;
    >>>
    >>> htmlString = @"ImageFeed.aspx?docId=" + docID;
    >>> extText.Attributes["src"] = htmlString;
    >>>
    >>> If I have ImageFeed defined to return:
    >>> dataString = @"<html><body><h1>hello world 12</h1></body></html>";
    >>> Response.Write(dataString);
    >>> Response.Flush();
    >>> Response.Close();
    >>>
    >>> Everything works fine.
    >>>
    >>> =======================
    >>>
    >>> If I cache a file
    >>> FileStream fs = new FileStream(filename, FileMode.Open);
    >>> byte[] data = new byte [fs.Length];
    >>> fs.Read(data, 0, (int)fs.Length);
    >>> fs.Close();
    >>>
    >>> and have ImageFeed defined to return
    >>> data = (byte[])document;
    >>> string dataString = Encoding.UTF8.GetString(data);
    >>>
    >>> Response.Write(dataString);
    >>> Response.Flush();

    David Elliott, Mar 2, 2004