ASP.NET programming model

josh

Hi,

I have a simple question:

If with ASP.NET model I can program almost every HTML element how if
had a framework object
(as if I programmed a Win application: event-driven)

why are there javascript framework libraries like YUI, prototype,
elaJa etc., that allow to
program the UI and that some of them have also effects, drag&drop etc?

So my doubt is should I use ASP.NET only for back-end and programs UI
with Javacript frameworks?

Maybe are the web programmers splitted in two development directions?

Thanks

George Ter-Saakov

Why is there more that 1 brand of milk?
Cause people as a programmers are different.

Also .NET is server side programming, YUI, prototype is a client side
programming.
So they need to coexist. They serve different purposes.
You can not do shadow effect with .NET

The AJAX library is a (somewhat) replacement for YUI,.... And it coexist
with .NET natively. So you might think about using it instead of other
JavaScript libraries.

George.

bruce barker

asp.net does a good job of looking like an event driven api like winforms but
it has several limitations. every event requires posting all form input to
the server, the server regenerating the html, and the browser rerendering the
html. while this may not be noticable on your local dev box, on an internet
site it can be seconds from clicking a button and seeing a response.

those that want a more 2 tier (or 3 tier) approach, switch to the browser
and javascript, which really is like winform events. you can respond to mouse
events, add a value to a dropdrown without redrwing the whole screen, etc.

asp.net has fallen behind in the rich client development. MS current push is
to use silverlight instead of browser (as you can code the UI in a .net
language), while others (say google or apple) are building tools to make
coding browser/javascript easier.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

josh

Why is there more that 1 brand of milk?
Cause people as a programmers are different.

Also .NET is server side programming, YUI, prototype is a client side
programming.
So they need to coexist. They serve different purposes.
You can not do shadow effect with .NET

yes they serve different purpose but with ASP.NET Javascript and
relative frameworks are not more useful. In fact the business logic
is made with ASP.NET and its event-driven model.

so I don't know which is the best, maybe ASP.NET shoud be used only
for
back-end operations (db access) while the UI management must be done
with a light Javascript framework

George Ter-Saakov

I do not think you have many options here.
If you writing web applications. Then you must use a browser on a client
site. And Browsers do not support .NET
So your only choice is JavaScript....

For the server side .NET is perfect.

George.