ASP.NET -> Sharepoint webpart

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by David Thielen, Jan 23, 2008.

  1. David Thielen, Jan 23, 2008

  2. Hi Dave,

    As for developing the webpart, do you want to develop a pure sharepont
    webpart or an ASP.NET webpart and used it in sharepoint? From ASP.NET 2.0,
    ASP.NET it self also support webpart framework. And there are some articles
    introduce create ASP.NET webparts and use them in sharepoint service.
    Anyway, I think you may consider develop a pure sharepoint webpart so that
    it will fit the sharepoint service better. BTW, is your customer using
    Windows Sharepoint Service 2.0 or 3.0 ?

    Here is a good overview article which may give you some general ideas:

    #Web Part Platforms and Development Techniques
    http://www.microsoft.com/belux/msdn/nl/community/columns/jtielens/webpartpla
    tforms.mspx

    and the following blog entry contains much more related resources:

    #ASP.NET 2.0 Web Part vs Sharepoint 2007 Web Parts
    http://blogs.msdn.com/mab/archive/2007/02/28/asp-net-2-0-web-part-vs-sharepo
    int-2007-web-parts.aspx

    Hope this helps.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    ications.

    --------------------

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jan 23, 2008

  3. We have a complete ASP.NET app that we need to optionally run in sharepoint.
    A number of the links you pointed me to said that using VS 2005 and ASP.NET
    2.0 this can be done - but none said how.

    Do you know of any link that discusses how to take a finished ASP.NET app
    and configure it so it can optionally run as a webpart in sharepoint too?

    David Thielen, Jan 23, 2008
  4. Thanks for your reply Dave,

    As for the "Web Part", it is actually something like a parituclar web
    control(that is used on Sharepoint web page). So I don't think you can
    replace a whole ASP.NET web applicaction by some Web Parts. I suggest you
    first have a look at Sharepoint admin guide and development
    reference(should be downloadable from MS site).

    for web part developing through ASP.NET, here are some further articles:

    #SharePoint 2007 -- Built on ASP.NET 2.0
    http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/04/30/444598.aspx

    #Writing Custom Web Parts for SharePoint 2007
    http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/09/02/Writing-Custom-Web-Parts-f
    or-SharePoint-2007.aspx

    and the team blog of Sharepoint:

    #Microsoft SharePoint Products and Technologies Team Blog
    http://blogs.msdn.com/sharepoint/archive/2007/03/02/integrating-asp-net-ajax
    -with-sharepoint.aspx

    BTW, you can host an entire ASP.NET application on a Sharepoint Virtual
    Server, not sure whether this is also doable for your scenario:

    #How to enable an ASP.Net application to run on a SharePoint virtual server
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828810

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    --------------------
    >From: =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhpZWxlbg==?= <>

    <>
    >Subject: RE: ASP.NET -> Sharepoint webpart
    >Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:21:05 -0800

    >We have a complete ASP.NET app that we need to optionally run in

    sharepoint.
    >A number of the links you pointed me to said that using VS 2005 and

    ASP.NET
    >2.0 this can be done - but none said how.
    >
    >Do you know of any link that discusses how to take a finished ASP.NET app
    >and configure it so it can optionally run as a webpart in sharepoint too?
    >
    >--
    >thanks - dave
    >david_at_windward_dot_net
    >http://www.windwardreports.com
    >
    >Cubicle Wars - http://www.windwardreports.com/film.htm
    >

    >"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Dave,
    >>
    >> As for developing the webpart, do you want to develop a pure sharepont
    >> webpart or an ASP.NET webpart and used it in sharepoint? From ASP.NET

    2.0,
    >> ASP.NET it self also support webpart framework. And there are some

    articles
    >> introduce create ASP.NET webparts and use them in sharepoint service.
    >> Anyway, I think you may consider develop a pure sharepoint webpart so

    that
    >> it will fit the sharepoint service better. BTW, is your customer using
    >> Windows Sharepoint Service 2.0 or 3.0 ?
    >>
    >> Here is a good overview article which may give you some general ideas:
    >>
    >> #Web Part Platforms and Development Techniques

    http://www.microsoft.com/belux/msdn/nl/community/columns/jtielens/webpartpla
    >> tforms.mspx
    >>
    >> and the following blog entry contains much more related resources:
    >>
    >> #ASP.NET 2.0 Web Part vs Sharepoint 2007 Web Parts

    http://blogs.msdn.com/mab/archive/2007/02/28/asp-net-2-0-web-part-vs-sharepo
    >> int-2007-web-parts.aspx
    >>
    >> Hope this helps.
    >>
    >> Sincerely,
    >>
    >> Steven Cheng
    >>
    >> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    >> ications.

    issues

    follow
    >> professional working with you may need further investigation to reach

    the
    >> most efficient resolution. The offering is not appropriate for

    situations
    >> project analysis and dump analysis issues. Issues of this nature are

    best
    >> handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by

    contacting
    >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/support/default.aspx.

    rights.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jan 24, 2008