ASP.NET Virtual Directories (xsl:import)(appSettings) - Help?

Keith Chadwick

I have 3 individual ASP.NET applications that make up the overall web
application. Each of these websites share some common styles, scripts and
xslt files. These are all placed in a single directory structure then in
IIS each .NET application has the virtual directory called shared created.

The problem is that and server side uri paths do not seem to recognize the
virtual directory called 'shared'. For example when using an external file
in the web.config file for appSettings or in an XSLT file with the
<xsl:import href="{file}"/> declaration.

Is there a way to tell the .NET application that the virtual exists under
IIS and how to relate to it or is this simply not possible.

Configuration is .NET 1.1 running on win2000 server.

Thanks in advance
Keith

John Saunders

Keith Chadwick said:
I have 3 individual ASP.NET applications that make up the overall web
application. Each of these websites share some common styles, scripts and
xslt files. These are all placed in a single directory structure then in
IIS each .NET application has the virtual directory called shared created.

The problem is that and server side uri paths do not seem to recognize the
virtual directory called 'shared'. For example when using an external file
in the web.config file for appSettings or in an XSLT file with the
<xsl:import href="{file}"/> declaration.

Is there a way to tell the .NET application that the virtual exists under
IIS and how to relate to it or is this simply not possible.

Configuration is .NET 1.1 running on win2000 server.

Keith,

How were you attempting to use the external file in web.config?

Keith Chadwick

<appSettings file="shared/appSettings.config"/>

where shared is the name of the virtual directory. I have checked that my
external file is correct by trying it at root and simply putting
file="appSettings.config" with no problem but when I move it to the virtual
directory its a no go.

Cheers
Keith

John Saunders

Keith Chadwick said:
<appSettings file="shared/appSettings.config"/>

where shared is the name of the virtual directory. I have checked that my
external file is correct by trying it at root and simply putting
file="appSettings.config" with no problem but when I move it to the virtual
directory its a no go.

The file attribute of appSettings refers to an OS file spec, not to a URL.

Note that you can use the "linkd" utility from the Windows 2000 Professional
Resource Kit to create the file system equivalent of a virtual directory.

Keith Chadwick

you are correct, for the appSettings the file attibute does use OS file spec
not an URL. That solves that one but still same problem with xsl:include

Keith