asp.net vs asp

Kevin Spencer

Is it quicker to develop using asp.net than with asp?

Hard to answer. There are a lot of factors involved. What tools are you
working with? How familiar are you with the technology? What sort of app are
you writing? These are all factors which influence the answer to that
question.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
http://www.takempis.com
Big Things are made up of
Lots of Little Things.

M K

I use VS and whip out code pretty quick, now that I've gotten used to it. I
have my page designer use Web Matrix so that she uses .Net controls and that
let's me write the codebehind.

When I was doing both, I simply used VS. (2k2 and 2k3) I like it better than
ASP because of intellisense, and because it's easier to compile a dll file
and upload that, without having to upload the page and vice versa.

M2Cents

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

It is far quicker to develop any significant application with ASP.NET than
with ASP.OLD.

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

It's so much more functional. You can do so much more with much less code.
It's drag and drop easy.
You can create a fully functional data entry form in minutes that includes
both client side server side validation.
It would likely take an hour or more in ASP.OLD.
VBScript was so slow and limiting. You have thousands of useful & optimized
built-in functions with .NET.
These are just a couple examples. I could go on and on.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

Kevin Spencer

I am using vs.net 2003. All things being equal, what is the verdict?

Again, it depends on what type of app you're developing. If you just want to
put "Hello World" on a page, ASP would definitely be faster to write it
with. If your app is complex and requires a lot of server-side muscle,
chances are (assuming that you are equally skilled with both technologies),
ASP.Net would be faster.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
http://www.takempis.com
Big Things are made up of
Lots of Little Things.

Tim Rogers

Are there any good books that really go into detail about using VS .NET to
create web sites? I've read Programming .NET (by Prosise) and it shows the
basics of ASP.NET, but fully utilizing VS .NET to create a real (i.e. not a
toy) site appears to be a subject on it's own. There are so many controls
and a plethora of options, etc.

Thanks,

Tim Rogers