    Is it quicker to develop using asp.net than with asp?

    Thanks

    Regards

    John, Nov 6, 2003

  2. > Is it quicker to develop using asp.net than with asp?

    Hard to answer. There are a lot of factors involved. What tools are you
    working with? How familiar are you with the technology? What sort of app are
    you writing? These are all factors which influence the answer to that
    question.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    http://www.takempis.com
    Big Things are made up of
    Lots of Little Things.

    Kevin Spencer, Nov 6, 2003

  3. John

    John Guest

    I am using vs.net 2003. All things being equal, what is the verdict?

    John, Nov 6, 2003
  4. John

    M K Guest

    I use VS and whip out code pretty quick, now that I've gotten used to it. I
    have my page designer use Web Matrix so that she uses .Net controls and that
    let's me write the codebehind.

    When I was doing both, I simply used VS. (2k2 and 2k3) I like it better than
    ASP because of intellisense, and because it's easier to compile a dll file
    and upload that, without having to upload the page and vice versa.

    M2Cents

    M K, Nov 6, 2003
  5. It is far quicker to develop any significant application with ASP.NET than
    with ASP.OLD.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Nov 6, 2003
  6. John

    John Guest

    Any reasons why?

    Thanks

    John, Nov 6, 2003
  7. It's so much more functional. You can do so much more with much less code.
    It's drag and drop easy.
    You can create a fully functional data entry form in minutes that includes
    both client side server side validation.
    It would likely take an hour or more in ASP.OLD.
    VBScript was so slow and limiting. You have thousands of useful & optimized
    built-in functions with .NET.
    These are just a couple examples. I could go on and on.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Nov 6, 2003
  8. > I am using vs.net 2003. All things being equal, what is the verdict?

    Again, it depends on what type of app you're developing. If you just want to
    put "Hello World" on a page, ASP would definitely be faster to write it
    with. If your app is complex and requires a lot of server-side muscle,
    chances are (assuming that you are equally skilled with both technologies),
    ASP.Net would be faster.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    http://www.takempis.com
    Big Things are made up of
    Lots of Little Things.

    Kevin Spencer, Nov 6, 2003
  9. John

    Tim Rogers Guest

    Are there any good books that really go into detail about using VS .NET to
    create web sites? I've read Programming .NET (by Prosise) and it shows the
    basics of ASP.NET, but fully utilizing VS .NET to create a real (i.e. not a
    toy) site appears to be a subject on it's own. There are so many controls
    and a plethora of options, etc.

    Thanks,

    Tim Rogers

    Tim Rogers, Nov 7, 2003
  10. Stephen Walther's book "ASP.NET Unleashed" by SAMS is a good one.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...103-2764109-6219060?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP