ASP.NET Web Application And Compilation [Question]

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Gerry O'Brien [MVP], Apr 27, 2004.

  1. If I'm not mistaken, compiling a Web app prior to deploying means that you
    only have to deploy the dll files. Everything needed for the app is
    included.

    If you don't compile the web app prior to deployment, then you need to
    ensure that the code files are deployed on the web server so the app can be
    compiled when needed.

    --
    Gerry O'Brien
    Visual Developer .NET MVP

    Tiraman, Apr 27, 2004

  3. Hi Tiraman,

    As for the complie for the asp.net web project(web application), here are
    some of my understanding:

    In fact, when we said that we need to compile a web application, that means
    we'd compile the web project before deploy it to the server,yes? This
    compile operation will build all the webform pages' codebehind page classes
    or any other utility classes into the web application's main assembly(dll
    file) which will be deployed to the web application's sub "bin" folder.
    Then, when deploying the web project, we needn't copy the code source
    files(.cs or .vb) to the deployment server) since all the classes has been
    build into the main assembly(in "bin" folder).

    At runtime, when a certain web page is requested, there occurs another
    compilation------runtime compiling-------- this will generate the actual
    class of the webpage(not the codebehind class in the assembly), the actual
    class will be generated from the aspx source file and is derived from the
    codebehind class contained in the assembly. And the runtime compiled page
    classes is located in the ASP.NET's temporary folder. This runtime
    compiliation can be set in the web.config via the <compilation> Element,

    #<compilation> Element
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpgenref/html/gngrfcompilationsectio
    n.asp?frame=true

    Then when the actual page class is generated, the ASP.NET runtiem will use
    its instance to process the coming request for the certain page. For
    detailed description, please reference the following links in MSDN:

    #Creating and Managing Web Forms Pages
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/vbcon/html/vboriCreatingEditingWebFo
    rms.asp?frame=true

    #Web Forms Code Model