ASP.NET Webforms (insert, update, and delete records ) SQL Server and Visual Studio.net

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by kennethgrice@yahoo.com, May 20, 2005.

    I am new to ASP.net and visual studio.net.

    I have created a new ASP.NET Web Application and have started with a
    simple form.

    I have created a simple test database that will store a person's first
    and last name and their SSN. The primary key is an autonumbered field.

    So I have made a connection in Visual Studio with the sql data adapter
    and have dragged 3 text boxes on the web form.

    For each text box, I have set the data source to be the field in the
    database or (dataset)

    So now I have dragged a button on to the form.

    Do I put the insert, update, and delete code in the button properties?

    Can visual studio.net generate the code to do this, or do I manually
    have to write to code to do this. If it has to be done manually, could
    someone please post sample code on how to do this?

    My text box names are f_name, l_name, and ssn.
    And the fields in the database are labeled the same way.

    Thanks in advance for any help.
    , May 20, 2005

  2. RE: ASP.NET Webforms (insert, update, and delete records ) SQL Server

    Hi Kenneth,

    One way to do this is to create SQL Stored Procedures which will actually
    perform the Insert/Update/Delete against the data, and then simply execute
    them from your ASP.NET application.

    If you're not familiar with SQL Stored Procedures, here's an example of what
    one would look like that updates the f_name field of your database...
    CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.spf_nameUpdate
    (
    @ID varchar(50),
    @f_name varchar(4)
    )
    AS
    SET NOCOUNT OFF;

    UPDATE TableName
    SET f_name = @f_name
    WHERE (ID = @ID)
    GO

    After you've created the Stored Procedure, you can then add a SQLCommand
    object to your webform (available in the toolbox, under the data tab.) Upon
    adding the SQLCommand to your webform, you can simply follow the wizard to
    specify the database and stored procedure it should connect to.

    HTH,
    Mike

    =?Utf-8?B?TXJNaWtl?=, May 20, 2005

  3. GreggTB Guest

    Re: ASP.NET Webforms (insert, update, and delete records ) SQL Server

    If you eventually want/need to write your own code for database tasks,
    you really ought to check out Microsoft's Data Access Application
    Block. The latest version is currently part of the Enterprise Library
    but I'm using an Oracle-specific adaptation of the original, standalone
    version and it works great. Definitely helpful when you're trying to
    follow common coding standards. You can find details about it here...

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag2/html/daab.asp
    GreggTB, May 20, 2005
  4. elizas

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    Messages:
    27
    Location:
    India
    How to INSERT, UPDATE or DELETE record in one statement

    Generally we write separate statements to INSERT UPDATE or DELETE data based on certain conditions. But now in SQL Server 2008 there is a new feature present called MERGE statement using which we can INSERT, UPDATE or DELETE record in one statement.

    MERGE is a new feature which Microsoft has introduced with SQL Server 2008 that provides an efficient way to perform multiple DML operations. In previous version of SQL server, we had to write separate statements to INSERT, UPDATE or DELETE data based on certain conditions, but now using MERGE statement we can include the logic of such data modifications in one statement that even checks when the data is matched then just update it and when unmatched then insert it. One of the most imortant advantage of MERGE statement is all the data is read and processed only once.The MERGE statement internally works as an individual insert, update and delete statement within a single Merge statement.You need to specify the SOURCE and the TARGET table or query which should be joined together.
    elizas, Apr 27, 2010