asp.net: What's wwwroot$/sitename?

Tom wilson

My asp.net seems to want to connect to a UNC share by default. It can
never find the share:

\\myserver\wwwroot$\mysite

What is this? I know what a standard UNC share looks like and this
aint it. ("wwwroot$"?) What creates it? Why doesn't it exist on my
W2003 server?

Thanks!

Scott Allen

Visual Studio creates the share during setup.

Why? Because ASP.NET development with VS.NET is so tightly coupled to
IIS that if one trips the other falls on it's face. Thank goodness
this all goes away in 2.0.

But I digress....

As for the wwwroot$ part, a dollar sign at the end of the share means
the share is hidden. There are hidden shares on every machine with an
NT based operating system (C$ and IPC$ are two common shares). These
shares are intended to be used by programs and services, so they don't
appear in the computer's list of shares in explorer.

Tom wilson

You mean, Visual Studio needs to be installed on the server? Isn't

Scott Allen

I wouldn't put Visual Studio on a production server. I assumed you
were trying to open an ASP.NET project from Visual Studio for
development. Where do you see the error about failing to connect to
wwwroot$?