What's "wwwroot$"?

Tom wilson

I'm trying to connect to an asp.net project and VS.Net keeps telling
me it can't find this share:

\\www.mysite.com\wwwroot$\MyWebsite

What's wwwroot$? I mean, it's supposedly a UNC share but what creates
it? "wwwroot$" isn't a standard share, nor is the above UNC path a
standard path either.

What's this for and how do I connect to it?

Thanks!

Juan T. Llibre

Are you trying to *connect* to an existing project,
or does that message appear when you try to *create*
a new project ?

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
===========

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

Tom wilson said:
I'm trying to connect to an asp.net project and VS.Net keeps telling
me it can't find this share:

\\www.mysite.com\wwwroot$\MyWebsite

What's wwwroot$? I mean, it's supposedly a UNC share but what creates
it? "wwwroot$" isn't a standard share, nor is the above UNC path a
standard path either.

What's this for and how do I connect to it?

It's created when you install the VS.NET Server Components on your web
server and is used by VS.NET when connecting to your project using the
fileshare method. See the VS.NET readme file about configuring the server:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822355