ASP refreshes whole page- would like to update only listbox with DB data

DanWeaver

New to asp. using VS2005. I have an HTML page with various elements
and moveable graphics- when I make an asp action (selecting some rows
from a sql dbase) the whole page is refreshed and I lose the changes I
have made ie moving graphics around etc. Is there any way to prevent
this?

Mark Fitzpatrick

Until recently, that's just the way everything works. In order for some
interactivity to occur with the server it has to postback the page. I say,
until recently because, thanks to AJAX, you can get around some of this.
AJAX basically let's you make asyncrhonous calls to the page, thereby
updating only parts of it. I don't know if this will solve your moveable
graphics issue, you may need to have some sort of state management in order
to do it right, but if you give AJAX a try that may solve some of the
problems. You can download the free AJAX for ASP.Net framework at
http://ajax.asp.net/

Guest

This is what Remote Scripting (now lovingly called "AJAX") is for. It uses
the XMLHTTP Request to make a call to your server-side page method without a
page reload, and marshals the results back into the DOM via Javascript
callbacks.
Remote Scripting was created by Microsoft back in 1998, so it's not exactly
something new.
For frameworks to do this with, I'd recommend Microsoft ASP.NET AJAX or for
a more lightweight solution, Anthem.net (find on sourceforge.net)
Peter

Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Short urls & more: http://ittyurl.net

DanWeaver

This is what Remote Scripting (now lovingly called "AJAX") is for. It uses
the XMLHTTP Request to make a call to your server-side page method without a
page reload, and marshals the results back into the DOM via Javascript
callbacks.
Remote Scripting was created by Microsoft back in 1998, so it's not exactly
something new.
For frameworks to do this with, I'd recommend Microsoft ASP.NET AJAX or for
a more lightweight solution, Anthem.net (find on sourceforge.net)
Peter

Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Short urls & more: http://ittyurl.net

Mark & Peter,

Thanks ever so much for your detailed responses. Am a bit trepedacious
of using AJax but good to know I stumbled onto a use for it and
difficulty with asp quite rapidly in my learning curve! Will look into
those links.
Thanks again, chaps!