ASP Replacement for Yahoo Groups?

Victor

With Yahoo's support being non-existent, and with more and more ISPs (and
countries) blocking Yahoo Group's IP addresses, I'm looking for a
replacement for Yahoo Groups.

Does anyone know of an ASP (VBScript) that can function as a Yahoo Group
style replacement? This includes handling digest emails as well. All the
popular forum software I've looked at, such as Snitz, can't handle it.

Roland Hall

in message : With Yahoo's support being non-existent, and with more and more ISPs (and
:
: Does anyone know of an ASP (VBScript) that can function as a Yahoo Group
: style replacement? This includes handling digest emails as well. All the
: popular forum software I've looked at, such as Snitz, can't handle it.

What exactly does "can't handle it" imply?

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

Victor

Roland Hall said:
in message : With Yahoo's support being non-existent, and with more and more ISPs (and
: countries) blocking Yahoo Group's IP addresses, I'm looking for a
: replacement for Yahoo Groups.
:
: Does anyone know of an ASP (VBScript) that can function as a Yahoo Group
: style replacement? This includes handling digest emails as well. All the
: popular forum software I've looked at, such as Snitz, can't handle it.

What exactly does "can't handle it" imply?

Isn't set up to do daily digest emails, won't cue ALL posts in an orderly
fashion, or the biggie is won't allow for selective moderation of users.

The worst is that most forum software is often too &$%#& fat and creates
heavy HTML. They place tables inside tables inside tables, use font tags
nested inside font tags, etc. People forget that most users still use
dialup, and those users can have a significant impact on income.

I once took a full featured Snitz 2000 forum, took the home page from 98K
down to 18K. Loaded much faster, but it took me over two weeks of testing,
re-testing, and examining HTML for bad formatting.

But, I'd much rather say it in Haiku:

Errors have occurred.
We won't tell you where or why.
Lazy programmers.
http://microcontroller.com/Embedded.asp?did=11

Roland Hall

in message :
: : > "Victor" wrote in message
: > What exactly does "can't handle it" imply?
:
: Isn't set up to do daily digest emails, won't cue ALL posts in an orderly
: fashion, or the biggie is won't allow for selective moderation of users.

Perhaps I am daily email digesting challenged. Can you elaborate?
Cue in an orderly fashion? I'm sorry but that's very vague. Posts are
queued based on date/time. Are you looking for some other type of ordering?

: The worst is that most forum software is often too &$%#& fat and creates
: heavy HTML. They place tables inside tables inside tables, use font tags
: nested inside font tags, etc. People forget that most users still use
: dialup, and those users can have a significant impact on income.

Well, text is not that expensive, even for dialup. The avatars and
emoticons are a little rediculous though. And, yes I agree and sympathize
about the sloppyness of the coding, even on the server-side. The ridiculous
use of white space is quite irritating.

I have a heavily customized version of Snitz (serverhacker) and I have
modified it extensively beyond that to split up some of the cosmetics and to
add new functionality but nothing you have requested.

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

: I once took a full featured Snitz 2000 forum, took the home page from 98K
: down to 18K. Loaded much faster, but it took me over two weeks of testing,
: re-testing, and examining HTML for bad formatting.

Well, I once considered completely rewriting it using CSS and splitting up
the really bad design of sharing colors with different page elements.

Roland Hall

in message
: Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Roland Hall" <nobody@nowhere>
: writing in
Thanks for jumping in Adrienne.

: >: Isn't set up to do daily digest emails, won't cue ALL posts in an
: >: orderly fashion, or the biggie is won't allow for selective moderation
: >: of users.
: >
: > Perhaps I am daily email digesting challenged. Can you elaborate?
: > Cue in an orderly fashion? I'm sorry but that's very vague. Posts are
: > queued based on date/time. Are you looking for some other type of
: > ordering?
: >
: >
:
: Yahoo groups allows you to get a digest of all the groups messages
: emailed to you, at intervals you choose, or an individual email for every
: post.

Snitz allows you to subscribe at different levels, based upon the admin's
settings. I'm doing this from memory so...

site
forum
topic

(There may be one other)
So, as long as you have a valid email address, which can be a requirement to
post or even view in a Snitz forum, you can subscribe at any level offered.

: As to orderly posts, the OP probably means that the posts can appear
: threaded, as they should in any good news client.

Snitz does thread the posts but not in a Windows Explorer type style except
at the top of a topic. It will show the threaded hierarchy at the top left.

Ex. http://forum.snitz.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=113

It's also not a news client. It's an ASP forum application running on a
server.