asp server.UrlEncode VS asp.net Server.UrlEncode Vs Php urlencode

Dario Sala

Hi,

what's the difference about Asp Server.UrlEncode and the Asp.Net
Server.UrlEncode ?

In asp:
Server.UrlEncode("*") = %2A

In Asp.Net:
Server.UrlEncode("*") = *

In Php
urlencode("*") = %2A

why ?

Karl Seguin

Dario
You want to read RFC2396 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt) to understand
what is valid in a URI.

Section 2.3 deals with unreserved characters (which * is a part of) and
says:

" Unreserved characters can be escaped without changing the semantics of the
URI, but this should not be done unless the URI is being used in a context
that does not allow the unescaped character to appear."

which, to me, implies ASP.Net is likely doing it right..

Karl