ASP to ASP.Net conversion

tom c

I have a client with an ASP site who wants to add some new features and
eventually convert to ASP.Net. I have two related questions:

1. Does microsoft or anyone else have any software that automates the
process of converting ASP to ASP.Net?

2. Can I run new ASP.Net pages on a site and have them interact with
old ASP pages?

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

INLINE

tom c said:
I have a client with an ASP site who wants to add some new features and
eventually convert to ASP.Net. I have two related questions:

1. Does microsoft or anyone else have any software that automates the
process of converting ASP to ASP.Net?

None that I know of. The models are so different that it would be difficult
and expensive to produce a product good enough for the masses.
2. Can I run new ASP.Net pages on a site and have them interact with
old ASP pages?

Yes and no. You can share session, per this article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/converttoaspnet.asp

Understand, however, that there are caveats. This article (above) will
illustrate how to keep a user under one session id, which is a major hurdle
to having a user on a mixed app. It will not, however, let you share all of
the session cookie information. Anything you store in session in ASP will
have to be "re-pulled" for ASP.NET. In other words, you cannot do this:

ASP
-----
Session("SomeValue") = myVariable

ASP.NET
int myVariable = Session["SomeValue"];

A solution I have employed in the past is to set the session vars into a
temporary data storage and then pull it back out on the ASP.NET side, but
only as needed (no reason to clutter up two session objects).

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!