ASP / WMI

Dthmtlgod

Sorry about the multiple posts (none to this forum), but I have made some
progress on my Access Denied problem.

On my machine, I can access machines remote to pull WMI data via ASP. This
is what I want.

I can't access the information when I log onto another machine. None of the
other administrators have any luck either.

I believe it is a setting on my machine. All the machines are built the
same, the only exception is my machine has IIS installed on it. I have
tried to run it on another machine with IIS installed and no luck.

Any ideas out there?

Jeff Cochran

Sorry about the multiple posts (none to this forum), but I have made some
progress on my Access Denied problem.

On my machine, I can access machines remote to pull WMI data via ASP. This
is what I want.

I can't access the information when I log onto another machine. None of the
other administrators have any luck either.

I believe it is a setting on my machine. All the machines are built the
same, the only exception is my machine has IIS installed on it. I have
tried to run it on another machine with IIS installed and no luck.

Any ideas out there?

Need a better definition of "can't access". Can't get the ASP page?
The data is incorrect in the page? The WMI code doesn't work?

Jeff

Dthmtlgod

Receiving this error

Error Type:
SWbemLocator (0x80041003)
Access denied
/eventlog3.asp, line 33

CN = "sasl0006"

set wmiLocator = CreateObject("WbemScripting.SWbemLocator")

Set wmiServices = wmiLocator.ConnectServer(CN) ** Errors on this line **

It works on my machine no problem, but other users get the above error. I
get the error as well when I access the site from another computer.

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

Are you accessing the site anonymously, or is anonymous access disabled? Is
IIS set to impersonate someone other than the local IUSR account?

The reason you are getting errors in specific instances is similar to why,
in a default scenario, users can't connect to Access databases or text files
on a network share. (See http://www.aspfaq.com/2168). In addition, most
WMI capabilities require elevated privileges aside from just read/write (I
think Admin is required for any change functionality, and for some read as
well).

So, you either need to force windows authentication and require the user to
use a domain account possessing these elevated permissions, or you can set
IIS to impersonate a similar elevated user. Perfhound was written largely
using WMI, and it has the same limitations. See how to work around them
here:

http://www.aspfaq.com/perfhound.asp