How to display Client WMI information on a ASPX/html page

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Biffo, Apr 10, 2009.

  1. Biffo

    Biffo Guest

    Hi,

    I'm looking for a good reliable method that will allow my web application to
    gather and display WMI information for the client using the app. I want the
    client to open up a page and see some System information about their own
    machine. I am using ASP .NET 2.0, VS2008.

    I have tried a lot of ways but none work consistanly....
    Scripting - Cannot open WMI
    ActiveX - Security issues with WMI
    EXE - Running an exe from the server. .Net privileges security issues on
    some client systems
    HTA - will run but need to get info back onto my aspx page

    --
    Thanks,
    Biffo

    Biffo, Apr 10, 2009

  2. Biffo

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Biffo wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for a good reliable method that will allow my web
    > application to gather and display WMI information for the client
    > using the app. I want the client to open up a page and see some
    > System information about their own machine.

    Then you will need to use client-side scripting (not ASP server-side code)
    to accomplish this. Also, the user will need to grant your site permission
    to do this by putting your site in his browser's trusted zone. Post to one
    of the scripting groups for help with the specific code.

    > I am using ASP .NET 2.0, VS2008.

    recommended practice) , but this is a classic (COM-based) asp newsgroup.
    ASP.Net bears very little resemblance to classic ASP so, while you may be
    lucky enough to find a dotnet-knowledgeable person here who can answer your
    question, you can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to a
    group where those dotnet-knowledgeable people hang out. I suggest

    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows, Apr 10, 2009