aspnet UNC file share authentication

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Jereme, Sep 30, 2005.

  1. Jereme

    Jereme Guest

    I am having much the same problem as Eric from the thread 'Rendering
    in-memory images from UNC file share', unfortunately I couldn't find a
    reply button on his thread.

    I have a NAS device which stores all my images, I have a asp.net page
    which access these images and displays them. I am working in a domain
    environment. I got the page to work great on a windowsXP workstation by
    setting the aspnet local accounts password then creating the same
    username with the same password on the remote NAS device.

    I was able to get the page working on a windows2000 server running iis5
    by using the <identity impersonate="true" /> tag in the local web.config
    file as long as the user of the webpage has access to the NAS device.

    I was not able to get the webpage to work on the win2000 with iis5 or on
    a win2003 with iis6 server by using the worker process account in the
    manner that I did on the XP machine. I know in iis6 that the worker
    process account is controlled through the application pools and iis_wpg
    as opposed to iis5 which uses machine.config.

    Does anyone out there know what I am doing wrong, why can't I get the
    webpage running under the worker process account on a server to properly
    authenticate to the remote NAS device?

    --
    Sent via .NET Newsgroups
    http://www.dotnetnewsgroups.com
    Jereme, Sep 30, 2005

  2. Hello Jereme,

    und IIS6 - you have to make sure that the worker process has access to the
    NAS share.

    no impersonation:

    if your WP runs as NETWORK SERVICE he authenticates as MACHINE$ to a remote
    server (=NAS). This is the account who has to have access.

    another option would be to let the WP run as a domain account (set this in
    the app pool settings) and give this account the proper ACLs on the NAS dev.

    ---------------------------------------
    Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
    http://www.leastprivilege.com

    Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor], Sep 30, 2005

  3. Jereme

    Jereme Guest

    does MACHINE$ have a password associated with it? I checked the local
    users and one with that name isn't visible so I don't know how I would
    set a static password for it.

    I tried the domain level account on both iis5 and iis6, I even set the
    account as an admin with full access to the NAS device.

    I also tried a domain level admin account instead of the NETWORK SERVICE
    account on iis6 and that didn't work either.

    Jereme, Oct 1, 2005