aspnet UNC file share authentication

Jereme

I am having much the same problem as Eric from the thread 'Rendering
in-memory images from UNC file share', unfortunately I couldn't find a
reply button on his thread.

I have a NAS device which stores all my images, I have a asp.net page
which access these images and displays them. I am working in a domain
environment. I got the page to work great on a windowsXP workstation by
setting the aspnet local accounts password then creating the same
username with the same password on the remote NAS device.

I was able to get the page working on a windows2000 server running iis5
by using the <identity impersonate="true" /> tag in the local web.config
file as long as the user of the webpage has access to the NAS device.

I was not able to get the webpage to work on the win2000 with iis5 or on
a win2003 with iis6 server by using the worker process account in the
manner that I did on the XP machine. I know in iis6 that the worker
process account is controlled through the application pools and iis_wpg
as opposed to iis5 which uses machine.config.

Does anyone out there know what I am doing wrong, why can't I get the
webpage running under the worker process account on a server to properly
authenticate to the remote NAS device?

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hello Jereme,

und IIS6 - you have to make sure that the worker process has access to the
NAS share.

no impersonation:

if your WP runs as NETWORK SERVICE he authenticates as MACHINE$ to a remote
server (=NAS). This is the account who has to have access.

another option would be to let the WP run as a domain account (set this in
the app pool settings) and give this account the proper ACLs on the NAS dev.

Jereme

does MACHINE$ have a password associated with it? I checked the local
users and one with that name isn't visible so I don't know how I would
set a static password for it.

I tried the domain level account on both iis5 and iis6, I even set the
account as an admin with full access to the NAS device.

I also tried a domain level admin account instead of the NETWORK SERVICE
account on iis6 and that didn't work either.