aspnet_regsql

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jeff, Jul 30, 2006.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    hey

    asp.net 2.0

    I have created several asp.net 2.0 projects on my development box (small
    projects). Now I want to deploy one of my projects to a live server. This
    project is using a aspnetdb.mdf database. I've read that I need to use
    aspnet_reqsql to deploy this sql database over to the live server....

    My problem is this:
    In aspnet_regsql I follow the wizard (I click the "next button") until I
    come to window in the aspnet_regsql wizard asking me for database
    credentials (server name, authentication method, user name, password and
    database). I have the Windows authentication selected and gets this error
    when trying to select (I clicked on the arrow in the database field) a
    database I get this error:

    "Failed to query a list of database names from the Sql Server.
    An error has ocured while establising a connection to the server. When
    conecting to Sql Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that
    under the default settings SQl Server does not allow remote connections.
    (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open connection to
    Sql Server)"

    I've got these programs installed on my development box:
    Microsoft MSDN 2005 Express Edition - ENU
    Microsoft SQL Server 2005 (trial version)
    Microsoft SQL Server Native Client
    Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (English)
    Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer
    Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition - ENU

    Any suggestions to solutions to this problem?

    Jeff
    Jeff, Jul 30, 2006

  2. Jeff

    Ray Booysen Guest

    Can you connect to the remote server via named pipes?

    Ray Booysen, Jul 30, 2006

  3. re:
    > Any suggestions to solutions to this problem?

    Follow the instructions at :
    http://www.datamasker.com/SSE2005_NetworkCfg.htm
    .... to fix that.

    The 3 links shown have explicit instructions, including images of the dialogues.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/

    Juan T. Llibre, Jul 30, 2006