ASPX and C# file on SharePoint Server

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Drew Carter, Apr 18, 2007.

  1. Drew Carter

    Drew Carter Guest

    Hi. I'm not sure whether this is a SharePoint or an ASP problem... but I
    thought it made sense to post here.

    I'm having trouble instantiating a C# class from within my ascx file. When
    I attempt to run it on our SharePoint 2007 server, I receive this error in
    the log file: "System.Web.HttpCompileException: c:\Program Files\Common
    Files\Microsoft Shared\web server
    extensions\12\TEMPLATE\CONTROLTEMPLATES\ASPNETControl\ASPNETControl.ascx(12):
    error CS0103: The name 'Class1' does not exist in the current context"

    How do I allow the program to recogonize Class1? When I rewrite the aspx
    file to return an ordinarily string, it funcitons fine, as long as I don't
    call the outside class. Class1 was compiled correctly and it exists as
    bin\Class1.dll.

    Any advice would be appreciated, and I have my code below. Thanks!

    -Drew Carter

    GetUsername.ascx:

    <%@ Control Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" ClassName="GetUsername" %>

    <script runat ="server" >

    protected override void Render(HtmlTextWriter UI)

    {
    Class1 output = new Class1();
    UI.Write(output);

    }

    </script>

    Class1.cs

    using System;

    public class Class1
    {
    public Class1()
    {}
    public static string getUserName()
    {
    return "Class1 String";
    Drew Carter, Apr 18, 2007

  2. Drew Carter wrote:
    > Hi. I'm not sure whether this is a SharePoint or an ASP problem...
    > but I thought it made sense to post here.

    I can't say about Sharepoint, but I'm certain it's not an ASP problem ...
    perhaps ASP.Net.

    recommended practice) , but this is a classic asp newsgroup. ASP.Net bears
    very little resemblance to classic ASP so, while you may be lucky enough to
    find a dotnet-knowledgeable person here who can answer your question, you
    can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to a group where
    those dotnet-knowledgeable people hang out. I suggest

    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Apr 19, 2007