ASPX file returning obscur runtime error - after changing permissions to a subweb (.net app) to diff

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Isabelle, Aug 11, 2004.

  1. Isabelle

    Isabelle Guest

    Hi

    I have posted this in the microsoft.public.frontpage newsgroups.
    Since it involves both Frontpage ext. 2002 on a windows 2000 Advanced's
    web server, and ASP.Net (framework 1.0), I decided to post here too.
    So here is the post I sent on the other newsgroups, please read and tell
    me if you have seen this.

    Note: By the way, here the developers don't have the choice, they have
    to use FP to deploy.

    ---
    I've read in previous posts here and there that a lot of the weirdest
    errors given by FP after publishing a site might be the results of
    something else not configured properly in NTFS (permissions?). I
    suspect this is the case but I don't know for sure. Maybe if somebody
    here has seen that he/she can help me to be on the right track to
    investigate that problem.

    Here it is:
    The developpers here have to use Frontpage to deploy their .Net
    applications on a specific windows 2000 web server. The weird error
    here is happening is when the Frontpage administrator wants to change
    permissions, using FP admin web pages, on a subweb and he chooses the
    option to not apply the same permissions as on the parent web, that
    subweb doesn't work immediately after the permissions are changed.

    We get a runtime error on a plan ASPX login page that had just a few
    labels and a textfield. If I look in the IIS's log, I can see a 500
    error right when we try to run that one login page after the
    permissions were changed.

    Even if the FP administrator changes back the permissions to what they
    were and goes in to select "same permissions as parent web", it won't
    work anymore.
    We have to remove the subweb entirely and re-create it again to make
    sure it works.

    Any ideas? Hints?

    Thanks in advance!

    Isabelle