aspx/html file bigger than 170KB truncated

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by z. f., Jan 27, 2005.

  1. z. f.

    z. f. Guest

    hi,

    i have a vb.net web application and i make a request using internet explorer to an aspx page.
    the aspx page size if over 170KB, and the page in internet explorer looks truncated and in the view-source the text/html is truncated in the middle of a line. the last line looks like that:

    and that's it.

    i checked the HTTP headers and saw that the aspx page have a Transfer-Encoding: chunked header, while asp page that have the same logic and is not traucated (it's smaller - about 80KB) does not have this header.

    can anyone help with this issue:
    a. how can i, in order to check if this is the source of the problem, disable the chunked transfer encoding of the aspx page.
    b. what might be the problem?

    i guess it is not client (iexplore) replated problem, but it might be a problem with the receiver of the data and not with the sender (IIS ) of the data.

    TIA, z.

    z. f., Jan 27, 2005

  2. Hi,

    Do you have any custom ISAPI filters enabled on the server?
    Do you have Zone Alarm installed on this machine? We've seen some strange
    problems with IIS and Zone Alarm that looks similar to what you see.

    --
    Regards,
    Kristofer Gafvert

    Kristofer Gafvert, Jan 27, 2005

  3. z. f.

    z. f. Guest

    no, no and no

    the only ISAPI is
    v1.1.4322\aspnet_filter.dll

    what i am using is response.flush, i hope that the implementation of this is not causing the chunked content encoding.
    how can this be canceled?

    i also changed the globalization entry of the Global.asax to have responseEncoding="windows-1255"

    might this cause anything???

    TIA, z.

    z. f., Jan 27, 2005
  4. There is nothing "wrong" with chunked content encoding. HTTP defines many
    valid ways to transfer entity body, and HTTP servers/browsers all know how
    to do it correctly.

    If I have to guess, it sounds like your page hit some server-side limit or
    timeout that causes problems.

    Chunked encoding simply means that the sending keeps sending data until a
    "stop" token is sent. Thus, it is possible for you to see a truncated
    response if the sending was somehow "stopped" before it was done. Changing
    to Content-Length won't necessarily solve the problem -- connection can
    still stop before it is done.

    The ASP sounds like it has Response.Buffer = true somewhere -- and
    actually, telling large pages to buffer on the server is a bad idea in
    general since it chews up that much memory per-request just for that page.

    If nothing obvious comes up, I suggest using a Network sniffer like NetMon
    or Ethereal to take a trace of such a truncated request and post it. It
    should give clear details on what is going on.

    --
    //David
    IIS

    David Wang [Msft], Jan 29, 2005
  5. z. f.

    z. f. Guest

    when i run fiddler (http proxy/http monitor) the problem disappear, so i guess it's some kind of client side implementation problem of receiving the chunked HTTP.
    the IE version is 6, running on windows 2003 server.

    anyway, how can i disable the chunked http?
    the asp is not chunked even though it uses response.flush.

    TIA, z.

    z. f., Jan 30, 2005
  6. It is not possible to "disable" chunked encoding with IIS configuration.
    IIS does NOT decide on the encoding of the entity body -- the specific
    application/platform determines this and is actually responsible for
    performing the data chunking.

    Thus, you will have look at whether the particular application/platform
    supports this sort of configuration.

    Now, the client can do something to prevent chunking -- by making a HTTP/1.0
    request (since chunked encoding was added in HTTP/1.1 so server-side code
    should never send chunks to HTTP/1.0 clients). But, I'm not aware of any
    browsers with this sort of configurability.

    Honestly, I would not "solve" this problem by trying to disable chunking --
    seems like something between the client and server has a problem (since IIS
    and IE both support chunked encoding just fine). Who knows what other issue
    awaits you? I would also suggest taking the Network sniff to see the actual
    request/response headers of the failing request and see if they are valid.
    You are randomly adding headers/directives hoping to avoid problems but they
    may be causing problems. You need to see/understand what is actually going
    on the wire before you can determine what is right/wrong.

    --

[...]

    rights.
    //

    David Wang [Msft], Jan 31, 2005