Assemblies can be loaded from "/Temporary ASP.NET Files/..." but not from "/bin"

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Boris, Jun 15, 2006.

  1. Boris

    Boris Guest

    We have some .NET 1.1 DLLs which we want to use in a ASP.NET 1.1 web page
    (actually one is a real .NET DLL in Managed C++ while the others are native
    Windows DLLs). First we copied all of the DLLs to /bin. However when we do
    this we get a configuration error. When we copy the DLLs to "/Temporary
    ASP.NET Files/..." everything works. Does anyone know what could be the
    reason that the DLLs can be loaded from the temporary files but not from
    bin?

    Here's the configuration error message:

    Parser Error Message: File or assembly name Foo, or one of its dependencies,
    was not found.

    === Pre-bind state information ===
    LOG: DisplayName = Foo
    (Partial)
    LOG: Appbase = file:///c:/inetpub/wwwroot/t
    LOG: Initial PrivatePath = bin
    Calling assembly : (Unknown).
    ===

    LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private, custom,
    partial, or location-based assembly bind).
    LOG: Post-policy reference: Foo
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
    Files/t/adf9cc0a/918f3e87/Foo.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
    Files/t/adf9cc0a/918f3e87/Foo/Foo.DLL.
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///c:/inetpub/wwwroot/t/bin/Foo.DLL.
    LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private, custom,
    partial, or location-based assembly bind).
    LOG: Post-policy reference: Foo, Version=1.0.2355.30881, Culture=neutral,
    PublicKeyToken=null

    Thanks in advance,
    Boris
    Boris, Jun 15, 2006

  2. Boris

    Boris Guest

    Boris wrote:
    > We have some .NET 1.1 DLLs which we want to use in a ASP.NET 1.1 web
    > page (actually one is a real .NET DLL in Managed C++ while the others
    > are native Windows DLLs). First we copied all of the DLLs to /bin.

    Okay, found the answer: Unmanaged code must not be deployed to /bin but to
    any directory in PATH.

    Boris

    Boris, Jun 15, 2006