    Cheers,
    Tony
    Project Website: geocities.com/dutchgoldtony

    dutchgoldtony, Apr 23, 2005

  2. dutchgoldtony

    Neil Guest

    yeah. I also want to know what's the most important difference between
    these two, asynchronous and synchronous design. Thank you!

    Neil, Apr 25, 2005

  3. dutchgoldtony

    Neo Guest

    There are a few doing asynchronous designs, their main advantage being
    low power. But all the mainstream designs are synchronous and are in no
    way inclined to go the asynchronous way. synchronous designs have been
    tried and tested and have well defined deterministic features not
    guarantedd in async designs.

    Neo, Apr 25, 2005
  4. dutchgoldtony

    Guest

    Asynchronous designs use no common clock for timing. Their timing
    depends on hardware delays, e.g., the delay through a logic gate.
    These delays are hardware and temperature dependent. A synchronous
    design uses a common clock signal for its timing. So long as all of
    the hardware delays are such that the inputs to clocked devices are
    stable at the clock transitions (technically, within a certain time
    before and a certain time after the clock transitions), then the timing
    is very predictable. To me, asynchronous design is difficult and
    tricky and I avoid it.

    , Apr 25, 2005