Asynchronus call in ASP.NET page?

Guest

Hi
If I have 2 different controls in a webpage Gridcontrol and reportviewer and
an asynchronus call for reportviewer query.

AddOnPreRenderCompleteAsync(new BeginEventHandler(BeginAsyncOperation),new
EndEventHandler(EndAsyncOperation));

Wil the Gridcontrol not be rendered and visible on thepage until the
asynchrounus query has completely run?

Thanks in advance.

bruce barker

nothing will be render until the query completes. once your asynch
handler completes, page processing starts back up to produce the html
and send it back to browser.

in general the page will not render any faster than if you did a sync
query, async processing allows th page worker thread to return to th
pool to process other request while your async process thread runs.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Guest

Hi Bruce

This means asynchronous model is not the answer to what I want to implement.

I want to display the grid - while the query of the report keeps executing
asynchrouonusly and the report comes up only when the query has completed.
(Something like on a dashboard all reports come up when they have the result
set where the rest keep running).

Am I looking in the wrong direction here?

Thanks
A.