    I've seen the Taylor polinomian but, is there any other way ?

    rgds,

    Bodhi
    Andi, Sep 23, 2003

  2. Hi Andi!

    > Could any one suggest me how to implemet an 'atan' function in a FPGA?
    > I've seen the Taylor polinomian but, is there any other way ?

    What about a lookup-table (with linear/binomic/... interpolation)?

    Ralf
    Ralf Hildebrandt, Sep 24, 2003

  3. Andi

    Acciduzzu Guest

    Hi,

    Another solution is to use a CORDIC rotator, working in the so-called
    "vectoring mode". This allows you to get the phase and the amplitude
    (polar coordinates) of an input vector specified in cartezian
    coordinates (X and Y).
    M = SQRT(X^2+Y^2);
    A = ATAN(Y/X);
    What you have to do now is to choose a convenient constant vaue for X
    and use Y as your argument to ATAN.
    Anyway, you cand find more info on the CORDIC algorithm on the net and
    you will se you can do a lot more things with it than just compute
    ATAN.
    A pretty good example of synthesizable VHDL code can also be found on
    www.opencores.org.

    Hope this helps :)

    Acciduzzu
    Acciduzzu, Sep 25, 2003