    later for integration) ? What is stk like, is there a book on using
    it? What about audio in VS.NET, what about latency?

    , Aug 6, 2005

  2. sade:
    > What is a basic library or call for audio output, easy to set up and

    std::cout<<"\a";

    > get started on. Say for example I wanted to render a wave with a C++
    > program and then play it back, possibly with a real time control, in
    > Windows or Linux. (perhaps not the right forum but... ) Is it
    > possible to do this without using the layers such as found on the Linux
    > audio? Do they come with alot of baggage (perhaps interface to these
    > later for integration) ? What is stk like, is there a book on using
    > it? What about audio in VS.NET, what about latency?

    DirectX provides a complete sound control interface, and further help
    can be found on microsoft.public.directx.* (and numerous websites).

    Tobias
    --
    IMPORTANT: The contents of this email and attachments are confidential
    and may be subject to legal privilege and/or protected by copyright.

    Tobias Blomkvist, Aug 6, 2005

    DirectX looks too bloated. The sample code is abisimal. I am not
    interested in build in mixers, 3d sound and such like.

    Tobias Blomkvist wrote:
    > sade:
    > > What is a basic library or call for audio output, easy to set up and

    > std::cout<<"\a";
    >
    > > get started on. Say for example I wanted to render a wave with a C++
    > > program and then play it back, possibly with a real time control, in
    > > Windows or Linux. (perhaps not the right forum but... ) Is it
    > > possible to do this without using the layers such as found on the Linux
    > > audio? Do they come with alot of baggage (perhaps interface to these
    > > later for integration) ? What is stk like, is there a book on using
    > > it? What about audio in VS.NET, what about latency?
    > >

    > DirectX provides a complete sound control interface, and further help
    > can be found on microsoft.public.directx.* (and numerous websites).
    >
    > Tobias
    > --
    > IMPORTANT: The contents of this email and attachments are confidential
    > and may be subject to legal privilege and/or protected by copyright.
    > Copying or communicating any part of it to others is prohibited and may
    > be unlawful.

    , Aug 7, 2005
  4. MarcusRescue Guest

    I do not know if this exactly that you are looking for but exists a
    called library SDL that possess resources for manipulation of audio.
    More accurate the SDL_mixer that can be found in
    http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/index.html. An advantage is
    that it works in some platforms (Windows, Linux, MacOS)

    MarcusRescue, Aug 9, 2005

    That looks good but I do not see anything on rendering a sound in
    memory, only loading in wavs and playing them back.

    , Aug 9, 2005

    I think SDL is 16bit, my sound card is 24bit 96KHz. I am looking for
    code that sends raw stereo pcm data to the sound card, loading and
    mixing wavs is of no interest to me.

    , Aug 9, 2005
  7. [OT] Re: audio synthesis libraries / platforms / drivers questions

    On 9 Aug 2005 15:18:51 -0700, wrote:

    >I think SDL is 16bit, my sound card is 24bit 96KHz. I am looking for
    >code that sends raw stereo pcm data to the sound card, loading and
    >mixing wavs is of no interest to me.

    Not many people have 24 bit sound yet ... you'll probably have to
    write some kind of device driver or find some open source project
    (hint: Google, sourceforge).

    [This is all OT in comp.lang.c++, BTW...]
    --
    Bob Hairgrove

    Bob Hairgrove, Aug 10, 2005