    I checked my SQL Express which uses Windows authentication.

    Should I check Visual Web Developer express as well?

    Your help is great appreciated,
    inungh, Jul 28, 2008

  2. Hello inungh,

    Check which folder is used as IIS virtual folder, because seems that your
    web.config locates above
    Check if your web.config is well-formed xml file, because smth could be wrong
    when you added the SQL connection

    Read more details about this there http://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh/archive/2005/04/25/37609.aspx

    ---
    WBR,
    Michael Nemtsev [Microsoft MVP] :: blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour

    i> I tried to place a grid view on my design view and connect to new
    i> data source to local SQL Express server Northwind database. I got
    i> error message on line 80
    i>
    i> <authentication mode="Windows"/>
    i>
    i> The full error message is following:
    i>
    i> D:\websites\begaspnet2db\web.config(80): Build (web): It is an error
    i> to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication'
    i> beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual
    i> directory not being configured as an application in IIS.
    i>
    i> I checked my SQL Express which uses Windows authentication.
    i>
    i> Should I check Visual Web Developer express as well?
    i>
    i> Your help is great appreciated,
    i>
    Michael Nemtsev [MVP], Jul 28, 2008