allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Icon Iconoclast, Nov 5, 2008.

  1. Why is this being caused and what is the solution? I am using a book that
    teaches ASP.NET 2.0 but trying out the example codes on my ASP.NET 3.5
    running the development server instead of IIS. What is the solution?

    WEB.CONFIG says:

    <authentication mode="Forms">
    <forms loginUrl="Default.aspx"></forms>
    </authentication>

    The error message says:

    It is an error to use a section registered as
    in IIS.

    Icon Iconoclast, Nov 5, 2008

  2. re:
    !> Why is this being caused and what is the solution?

    The error mesage tells you that :
    "This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS."

    You are trying to use Forms authentication in a directory
    which is not configured as an application or, at least, as a virtual directory.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/

    Juan T. Llibre, Nov 5, 2008

  3. Icon Iconoclast