authentification

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Dan Nash, Sep 9, 2004.

  1. Dan Nash

    Dan Nash Guest

    Hi guys,

    Couple of general questions for you. Background is I'm about to start
    writing version 2 of a client's intranet system in .NET (originally ASP).
    Just wanted to ask...

    First of all, I'm looking at using forms authentification with a database.
    So am I right in thinking that I need to put something in Web.Config to tell
    the app to go and validate from a seperate file (one that loads the db and
    checks password against a table of passwords), instead of using
    <credentials>? If so, how would I go about this?

    Secondly, what we *really* want to do is get rid of the login altogether.
    Each users logs into Win2k3 server, so can I just pull what they are logged
    into the computer as for the authentication on the intranet? They are not
    using AD, so is this possible, and how would I go about that?

    And lastly, if that is possible, what are they chances of running an ASP
    page to actually force them to change their Windows password?

    Any help on these would be useful - trying to come up with a project plan
    for the rewrite :eek:)

    Thanks in advance

    Dan
    Dan Nash, Sep 9, 2004

  2. You may need to review these links:-

    l/cpconsimplecookieauthentication.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/datacenter
    /proddocs/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windowsserv/2003/da
    tacenter/proddocs/en-us/aaconaspnetauthentication.asp

    Regards

    Andy Mortimer [MS]
    Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
    newsgroup purposes only

    OR if you wish to include a script sample in your post please add "Use of
    included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
    http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm"
    Andy Mortimer [MS], Sep 10, 2004