Autofill web forms

Discussion in 'HTML' started by David Portabella, Jan 28, 2005.

  1. Hello,

    I am a doing a survey about Autofill Web Forms softwares.

    Usually, they all collect information of the user once during the
    set-up phase (user knowledge base).

    Then, when the user navigates to a web form, the autofill software can
    automatically partially fill the form. The solution can be mostly
    differenciated by its intelligence algorithm for matching between the
    information (fields) asked by the web form, and the one present in the
    user knowledge base.

    This matching algorithm can be:
    -completly manual (for each field the user selects from a list)
    -keyword matching (for example using the ECML v1.1 specification)
    -more sophisticated :)

    Some autofill softwares also continues to collect information each time
    the user fills a form (not only in the set-up phase).

    Do you know more information about it?
    Do you know about interesting solutions/features?

    ps: Let me know if you are interested in the result of the survey.

    Best,
    DAvid

    --
    David Portabella

    Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (LIA)
    Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne (EPFL)
    Tel: +41216932732 / Fax: +41216935225

    ---------

    Some applications that I am trying. Let me know if you know about the
    matching algorithm they use (there is very few information about it)

    ------------------

    RoboForm
    http://www.roboform.com/manual.html

    Gator
    http://www.gator.com/about/

    Google Toolbar
    http://toolbar.google.com/autofill_help.html

    Apple - Safari
    http://www.apple.com/safari/

    MSN Toolbar
    http://support.msn.com/feedback.aspx?productkey=toolbar

    AutoFill Browser 1.2.1
    http://www.soft32.com/download_76581.html

    Research-Desk Professional
    http://www.winferno.com/help/ResearchDesk2005/Document_Management.asp

    iNetFormFiller 2.6.11
    http://www.lotussoft.com/product/inetformfiller-by-inetformfiller.html

    Search Toolbar 1.0
    http://www.lotussoft.com/product/search-toolbar-by-search-toolbar.html

    SignupShield 2
    http://www.lotussoft.com/product/signupshield-by-protecteer,-llc.html

    AWS Toolbar
    http://www.onixsoft.com/aws_home.html

    550 Access Toolbar
    http://www.550access.com/toolbar_autofill.asp

    ----------------

    David Portabella, Jan 28, 2005

  2. David  Portabella

    ...D. Guest

    On 28 Jan 2005 08:56:32 -0800, "David Portabella"
    <> wrote:
    >Hello,
    >I am a doing a survey about Autofill Web Forms softwares.

    I am not sure what you are asking.

    I use the dastardly infamous software Norton SystemWorks 2004. The best
    bonus feature, and maybe the best feature overall anyway, came with 2004
    (not 2003). It is a password manager, and I cannot live without one after
    having it.

    It never misses a little login page that wants two lines filled in - an
    email address or ID, & password. And when it comes to longer forms - name
    / address / phone number / city /state /zip - even credit card number ,
    the page has to be done right with the right coding, and if so, NSW2004
    recognizes those fields and fills them in. Unfortunately there are form
    pages written that do not use standard fields I guess, and I find myself
    manually filling in info more than I want to.

    ...D.

    ...D., Jan 29, 2005

  3. While the city slept, ...D. (d@no_usenet_email..org) feverishly typed...
    > It never misses a little login page that wants two lines filled in -
    > an email address or ID, & password. And when it comes to longer
    > forms - name / address / phone number / city /state /zip - even
    > credit card number , the page has to be done right with the right
    > coding, and if so, NSW2004 recognizes those fields and fills them in.

    Ooh! Can I come round your house??? Mind if I just browse the net for a bit
    while you go into the kitchen and make a pot of tea??? ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss
    http://www.nigenet.org.uk

    nice.guy.nige, Jan 29, 2005
  4. > Unfortunately there are form pages written that do not use
    > standard fields I guess, and I find myself
    > manually filling in info more than I want to.

    yes, one question is which standard fields exists out there,
    and who makes them standard?

    For instance, one standard is RFC 3106 - ECML v1.1:
    Field Specifications for E-Commerce
    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3106.html

    but the scope is limited to a purchase order.
    Do you know about other standards?

    Best,
    DAvid

    David Portabella, Jan 31, 2005