automatic height

Markus Schöning

Hello,

please excuse my English: I'm not a native speaker.
I have a table (height: 100%) with three rows. The first and the third row
have a fixed height. The second row should fill the rest of the 100%. The
following example works fine in every browser, except Internet Explorer. Can
somebody help me?

Header

Content

Footer

steven

Markus Schöning said:
Hello,

please excuse my English: I'm not a native speaker.

Never, NEVER apologise for not speaking perfect English.

1.
English is a weird language as it is; even native speakers don't get it
always right.

2.
Who are you apologising to? The native English speaking guyz/galz? Do they
speak German? If I were British or American, I would be honored when people
would take the trouble to address me in my own language.
Or are the apologies for the other people who are in the same position as
you are: who don't always find the right word or the right grammatical
construction. I don't care! As long as we can understand each other.

From time to time I have to send an email to a German or Austrian
correspondent (e-shops, things like that). I could do this in English, but
sometimes I try to do it in German. I know my German is not very good (only
my fourth language), and maybe they chuckle over it, but I can make my point
and that's what counts.

mit besten Grüßen,
Steven
aus Belgien

steven

Markus Schöning said:
Hello,

please excuse my English: I'm not a native speaker.
I have a table (height: 100%) with three rows. The first and the third row
have a fixed height. The second row should fill the rest of the 100%. The
following example works fine in every browser, except Internet Explorer. Can
somebody help me?

Header

Content

Footer

Schon wieder da. ;-)

It looks like you're using this table to create your page layout. There's no
law against it (yet), but it's not very much appreciated either. HTML is
used to represent content, and tables are OK when they're used to represent
tabular information.
Better use CSS for layout. Content and presentation should be separated.

Steven

Els

steven said:
Never, NEVER apologise for not speaking perfect English.

True, but..
1.
English is a weird language as it is; even native speakers
don't get it always right.

Too true ;-)
2.
Who are you apologising to? The native English speaking
guyz/galz? Do they speak German? If I were British or
American, I would be honored when people would take the
trouble to address me in my own language. Or are the
apologies for the other people who are in the same position
as you are: who don't always find the right word or the
right grammatical construction. I don't care! As long as we
can understand each other.

But I think the apology may serve another purpose. It's not
when we (not English speakers) make funny/weird/silly mistakes
in the English language that there is a problem. It's when we
appear to be using the English language, but in fact have
misunderstood a word or expression, and therefore use it the
wrong way, and you (English speakers) misunderstand what we
want to say. So, to me, an apology like that is more like a
warning: "if I say something rude, please know that I probably
didn't mean it like that, and it's due to me not knowing the
language well enough to recognise rudeness" :)
mit besten Grüßen,

groetjes / salut
Steven
Els

aus Belgien

uit Nederland / des Pays-Bas (sp?)

;-)

steven

Els said:
True, but..

Too true ;-)

But I think the apology may serve another purpose. It's not
when we (not English speakers) make funny/weird/silly mistakes
in the English language that there is a problem. It's when we
appear to be using the English language, but in fact have
misunderstood a word or expression, and therefore use it the
wrong way, and you (English speakers) misunderstand what we
want to say. So, to me, an apology like that is more like a
warning: "if I say something rude, please know that I probably
didn't mean it like that, and it's due to me not knowing the
language well enough to recognise rudeness" :)

groetjes / salut

uit Nederland / des Pays-Bas (sp?)

Você significa os Países Baixos?
(Wat is sp?)

Els

steven said:
Você significa os Países Baixos?

Depende, o que você quer dizer com a palavra "significa".
Eu sou Holandesa, sim, mas não estou representante deste País.
:)
(Wat is sp?)

"sp?" staat voor "ik hoop dat ik het goed gespeld heb, geen
flauw idee wat de officiële/juiste spelling is"