automatic height

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Markus Schöning, Dec 23, 2004.

  1. Hello,

    please excuse my English: I'm not a native speaker.
    I have a table (height: 100%) with three rows. The first and the third row
    have a fixed height. The second row should fill the rest of the 100%. The
    following example works fine in every browser, except Internet Explorer. Can
    somebody help me?

    Header

    Content

    Footer

    Markus Schöning, Dec 23, 2004

  2. Markus Schöning

    Philip Ronan Guest

    Markus Schöning wrote:

    > please excuse my English: I'm not a native speaker.

    Your English is fine!

    But your markup is not very good. Try style="height:60px;"

    --
    phil [dot] ronan @ virgin [dot] net
    http://vzone.virgin.net/phil.ronan/

    Philip Ronan, Dec 23, 2004

  3. Markus Schöning

    steven Guest

    "Markus Schöning" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > please excuse my English: I'm not a native speaker.

    Never, NEVER apologise for not speaking perfect English.

    1.
    English is a weird language as it is; even native speakers don't get it
    always right.

    2.
    Who are you apologising to? The native English speaking guyz/galz? Do they
    speak German? If I were British or American, I would be honored when people
    would take the trouble to address me in my own language.
    Or are the apologies for the other people who are in the same position as
    you are: who don't always find the right word or the right grammatical
    construction. I don't care! As long as we can understand each other.

    From time to time I have to send an email to a German or Austrian
    correspondent (e-shops, things like that). I could do this in English, but
    sometimes I try to do it in German. I know my German is not very good (only
    my fourth language), and maybe they chuckle over it, but I can make my point
    and that's what counts.

    mit besten Grüßen,
    Steven
    aus Belgien

    steven, Dec 23, 2004
  4. Markus Schöning

    steven Guest

    "Markus Schöning" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > please excuse my English: I'm not a native speaker.
    > I have a table (height: 100%) with three rows. The first and the third row
    > have a fixed height. The second row should fill the rest of the 100%. The
    > following example works fine in every browser, except Internet Explorer.

    Can
    > somebody help me?

    > Header

    > Content

    > Footer

    Schon wieder da. ;-)

    It looks like you're using this table to create your page layout. There's no
    law against it (yet), but it's not very much appreciated either. HTML is
    used to represent content, and tables are OK when they're used to represent
    tabular information.
    Better use CSS for layout. Content and presentation should be separated.

    Steven

    steven, Dec 23, 2004
  5. Markus Schöning

    Els Guest

    steven wrote:

    > "Markus Schöning" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> please excuse my English: I'm not a native speaker.

    > Never, NEVER apologise for not speaking perfect English.

    True, but..

    > 1.
    > English is a weird language as it is; even native speakers
    > don't get it always right.

    Too true ;-)

    > 2.
    > Who are you apologising to? The native English speaking
    > guyz/galz? Do they speak German? If I were British or
    > American, I would be honored when people would take the
    > trouble to address me in my own language. Or are the
    > apologies for the other people who are in the same position
    > as you are: who don't always find the right word or the
    > right grammatical construction. I don't care! As long as we
    > can understand each other.

    But I think the apology may serve another purpose. It's not
    when we (not English speakers) make funny/weird/silly mistakes
    in the English language that there is a problem. It's when we
    appear to be using the English language, but in fact have
    misunderstood a word or expression, and therefore use it the
    wrong way, and you (English speakers) misunderstand what we
    want to say. So, to me, an apology like that is more like a
    warning: "if I say something rude, please know that I probably
    didn't mean it like that, and it's due to me not knowing the
    language well enough to recognise rudeness" :)

    > mit besten Grüßen,

    groetjes / salut

    > Steven

    Els

    > aus Belgien

    uit Nederland / des Pays-Bas (sp?)

    ;-)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Dec 23, 2004
  6. Markus Schöning

    steven Guest

    "Els" <> wrote in message
    > steven wrote:
    >
    > > "Markus Schöning" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hello,
    > >>
    > >> please excuse my English: I'm not a native speaker.

    > > Never, NEVER apologise for not speaking perfect English.

    > True, but..
    >
    > > 1.
    > > English is a weird language as it is; even native speakers
    > > don't get it always right.

    > Too true ;-)
    >
    > > 2.
    > > Who are you apologising to? The native English speaking
    > > guyz/galz? Do they speak German? If I were British or
    > > American, I would be honored when people would take the
    > > trouble to address me in my own language. Or are the
    > > apologies for the other people who are in the same position
    > > as you are: who don't always find the right word or the
    > > right grammatical construction. I don't care! As long as we
    > > can understand each other.

    > But I think the apology may serve another purpose. It's not
    > when we (not English speakers) make funny/weird/silly mistakes
    > in the English language that there is a problem. It's when we
    > appear to be using the English language, but in fact have
    > misunderstood a word or expression, and therefore use it the
    > wrong way, and you (English speakers) misunderstand what we
    > want to say. So, to me, an apology like that is more like a
    > warning: "if I say something rude, please know that I probably
    > didn't mean it like that, and it's due to me not knowing the
    > language well enough to recognise rudeness" :)
    >
    > > mit besten Grüßen,

    > groetjes / salut
    >
    > > Steven

    > Els
    >
    > > aus Belgien

    > uit Nederland / des Pays-Bas (sp?)

    Você significa os Países Baixos?
    (Wat is sp?)

    steven, Dec 23, 2004
  7. Markus Schöning

    Els Guest

    steven wrote:

    >> > mit besten Grüßen,

    >> groetjes / salut
    >> > Steven

    >> Els
    >> > aus Belgien

    >> uit Nederland / des Pays-Bas (sp?)

    > Você significa os Países Baixos?

    Depende, o que você quer dizer com a palavra "significa".
    Eu sou Holandesa, sim, mas não estou representante deste País.
    :)

    > (Wat is sp?)

    "sp?" staat voor "ik hoop dat ik het goed gespeld heb, geen
    flauw idee wat de officiële/juiste spelling is"

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Dec 23, 2004
  8. steven wrote:
    > > please excuse my English: I'm not a native speaker.

    > Never, NEVER apologise for not speaking perfect English.

    Well that was an interesting tangent...

    --
    -=*Tn*=-

    Travis Newbury, Dec 23, 2004
  9. "Travis Newbury" <> schreef in bericht
    > steven wrote:
    > > > please excuse my English: I'm not a native speaker.

    > > Never, NEVER apologise for not speaking perfect English.

    > Well that was an interesting tangent...
    >
    > --
    > -=*Tn*=-

    Perfect.
    Lets make this alt.languages or something ;)

    Regards,
    Sam

    Samuël van Laere, Dec 24, 2004