Avoid pop up blocker

Guest

Hi,

I have an invoicing system built in asp.net 2.0. Part of it automatically
opens up a new IE window using a bit of javascript. This is stopped by the
pop up blockers in IE.

Is there a way of opening a new window that doesnt get caught by the pop up
blocker?

thanks

Mark Rae

I have an invoicing system built in asp.net 2.0. Part of it automatically
opens up a new IE window using a bit of javascript. This is stopped by the
pop up blockers in IE.

Is there a way of opening a new window that doesnt get caught by the pop
up
blocker?

1) Public Internet or enclosed intranet?

2) Please show the JavaScript code you're using to open the window...

Guest

Its an intranet application.

I just use this code below on the onClick event for a button. Note this code
uses the MS Ajax script manager....

Also the pop up window is not blocked on "plain" IE 7. A user just emailed
to say it was blocked, I guess they could have google toolbar or something
installed.

CType(Master.FindControl("scriptmanager"),
System.Web.UI.ScriptManager).RegisterClientScriptBlock(btnSaveSubmit,
GetType(Button), "Window",
"window.open('http://server/reportserver?/Reports/Expenses/ExpenseSummary&expenseID="
& hiddenExpenseID.Text & "&rs:Command=Render&rs:ClearSession=true',
'_blank','location=no,toolbar=no,resizable,left=100,top=15');window.location='http://server:3446/Expenses/Home.aspx'", True)

Guest

I'm not sure how much access to the system you've got, but the way we did it,
we added our intranet location (eg. http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:port) to the
"Trusted Sites" in IE. That prevents any popup blocking from the browser. Not
sure about a 3rd party blocker though, cos we don't allow anyone to install
stuff.

Anyway, to do it, you need to get your users to add the intranet site to
their trusted sites zone. Depending on your network setup (we're on roaming
logon with a 2k3 server), you can add the the site addy to Trusted Sites for
the default profile, and then delprof all the user accounts on all machines
(if someone knows a quicker way of doing that than indivudually by hand do
pass it on!).

HTH,
Dan

Mark Rae

Its an intranet application.

In which case, I think that all you need to do is make sure all your users
have the web address of the intranet included in their Trusted Sites zone in
IE - you might even be able to do this centrally through a policy...

Guest

Ok thanks for the info.

After a bit more investigation and testing i have found that the pop up
window opends fines in IE 6 and 7 with pop up blocker on. But it wont open
when you have the google toolbal installed. The site doesnt even need to be
in the trusted zones list.

So, its not really a problem. Our policy is that users use IE 6 or 7 and
dont install any 3rd party apps.

Larry Bud

Hi,

I have an invoicing system built in asp.net 2.0. Part of it automatically
opens up a new IE window using a bit of javascript. This is stopped by the
pop up blockers in IE.

Is there a way of opening a new window that doesnt get caught by the pop up
blocker?

If there was, it would make popup blockers pretty useless.

What I do for internal apps is test for a popup blocker on the home
page of the app (lots of code out there to do such a thing), and if a
popup blocker is on, I put an alert box on the screen asking them to
disable their popup blocker for this site, etc. It gets annoying
enough where most users will figure out how to disable it for our site
so they don't get that message every time. Solve a LOT of help desk
calls.

Guest

Larry - for future reference, could you explain how you test for the popup
blocker ?

Cheers

Dan